How to put something at the desktop

Don't use $Doc to place anything in a specific user's profile with the exception of All Users.

What will happen is the folders and files get copied to the hard drive during text mode setup. Then when the user first logs in, Windows finds that there already exists a user profile with that name ("juser" for example) and since it wasn't created for the user currently logging in, it creates a new set of folders and names it something like "juser.000" (I'm not sure about the exact extension added).

I tried it once and got burned by this. There may be a way to work around it, but I didn't bother trying to find it. Maybe there's ar Registy key that associates a given profile folder with a user name. What I did was to do a simple copy of the icon from a folder on the CD to the desktop of the user that I created and call it from GUIRunOnceEx. So, the user logs in, the correct profile is created and the copy job copies the icon(s) to the desktop like I wanted.

to place any file at the desktop you have three options

make directories like

$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop

and place files that u want at the desktop

or

keep your file somewhere in $OEM$\$1\Install

copy that file to desktop by using command in cleanup.cmd

copy %systemdrive%\Install\MyFile.txt %UserProfile%\Desktop /y

or

make your own desktop folder, place your all shortcuts in it and specify it as your desktop shell folder in regedit during RunoneEx (your specified desktop might be shown after rebooting)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

"Desktop"="D:\MyProfile\Mydesktop"

:)

Best option to add something on desktop is do it with a command file

@copy %systemdrive%\Install\filename.ext %UserProfile%\Desktop

where %UserProfile% = c:\Documents and Settings\<logged in user>

You can also use %AllUsersProfile% which is the All users folder

This is the easiest way in my opinion to clean the desktop of useless shortcuts or add shortcuts after all the installations.

Hope this helps