Can Ping Out But IE, AIM etc Cant Get Online

LoneWolf121188

One of my comps (connected to the same network as this one) can ping out to websites and the rest of my network, but cannot go online using ANY progs. This includes Netscape, IE, AIM, any updater, etc. whats wrong here? One day it works, the next day, no. Running XPSP2 retail (w/o the patched tcpip.sys, but i have tried with it as well). The network is a linksys cable modem, MS wireless hub, Dlink 4port switch, and into my comp. I have tried 3 network cards (none fix the problem), and have run the ethernet cable into a laptop (which works just fine), so its software or a peice of hardware thats not the network card. Ive run virus scans (norton) and spyware scans.

Help?

You never realize how much you use the net till its GONE!

Weel, the only time I've seen this one was when it was related to adware/spyware. You said you scanned for that, but what prog's did you use. I would sudgest a combo of adaware, spybot and SpySweeper. SpySweeper should be able to get you back online, then you can update the deffinitions and scan again to get rid of the rest of the crap.

I used spybot, but i havent updated it in a while. I did find something new though: I can get online in Safe mode. So that means its either a process or a serivce, right? Is there a way I can choose which processes I want to load, like a dialouge box when one tries to start or something?

I completly uninstalled norton (Sysworks and Internet security), just in case that was the problem (firewall or something). didnt do anything, so I'll reinstall it in a miniute. Got rid of the last software I can remember installing before it went down (MS Virtual PC trial), that didn't do it.