Cyclic concordancy error when using multi-boot CD

Tassadar

Hi all, I'm very glad of have discover this place, I started making me my own utilities DVD long time ago, and since I knew the existence of CDIMAGE i've use it to make my DVD multi bootable, but there is an error that I've been unable to fix, and converts the installation of any Windows XP in a failure when using multi-boot disks.

The problem is that many times when I install Windows XP, it load perfectly at the beginning, and format the hard drive and copy files, etc.

The problem comes in the first restart, when the installation causes an error that stops the installation and I can´t continue; the error is something like "error de concordancia cíclica en ...." (I suppose in english could be "cyclic concordancy error".

If you think you need more details of the error I will try an installation and take note of it for you to have more detailed information, although I think it must be a generalized problem becouse once I used a multi-boot CD that were not created by me, and causes the same installation crash.

Thank you very much, and i hope someone can help me :)

More than likely the error is supposed to be "Cyclical redundancy check failed". This usually happens when there is a scratch or something on the disk. I think it means that the error checking written in the disk is noticing that a file is not the same, and therefore errors out. The only way I know to fix that is burn a new disk. Good luck with that.

Thank you very much for your answer, Dr Marvin.

The promem can't be caused due to a devective or scracthed disk, simply because it happends with all the cd's or DVD's that I make using multiboot. Even I saw this problem with a multi boot CD that a friend of me gave to me, and was made with CDIMAGE (So the problem should be more generalized, i really can't beliebe I'm the only one this this problem :P ).

Since I discovered the CDIMAGE and his chances, I've been updating my utilities DVD, and the problem persists, even I used the new CDimage 2.52 in my last DVD, and the problem stay.

The more stranger is that it work sometimes, for example I've got one disk that I used to install on 2 pc's, and work great, but today when I was installing on a third, appeared the problem.

I have take note of the complete error:

------------------------------------

Error:

SXS.DLL: Error de sintaxis en el archivo o de directiva "D:\WXPSP2\I386\asms\IO\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN" en la linea 4.

Error:

Installation failed: D:\WXPSP2\I386\ASMS

Error message: Error de datos (comprobación de redundancia cíclica)

Error grave:

No se puede instalar uno de los componentes que windows necesita para continuar con la instalación.

Error de datos (comprobación de redundancia cíclica)

Si está instalando desde un CD, puede haber un problema con el disco, intente limpiarlo o utilice otro disco.

Si está instalando desde la red, es posible que algunos archivos no se hayan copiado correctamente en su disco duro. Ejecute la utilidad de comprobación de disco en su unidad de instalación desde la consola de comprobación de disco en su unidad de instalación desde la consola de recuperación e inicie nuevamente la instalación.

------------------------

Translating from spanish into english, it would seem like this:

------------------------------------

Error:

SXS.DLL: Syntax Error on file or from directive "D:\WXPSP2\I386\asms\IO\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4.

Error:

Installation failed: D:\WXPSP2\I386\ASMS

Error message: Data error (Cyclical redundancy check failed)

Severe error:

One of the components that windows require for continue with the installation can't be installed.

Data error (Cyclical redundancy check failed)

If you're installing from a CD, there can be a problem with the disk, try to clean it or use another one.

If you are installing via lan, some files are probably not been copied correctly on your hard disk. Run the check disk utility on your installation unit from the recorery console and restart installation.

------------------------

As I told, I've never seen this problem with a non multi-boot disk, and yes with the multi-boot created with CDIMAGE (I always have use the GUI beta 3, don't know if it could be the cause of the problem, i supone not)

Thank very much to all

The problem doesn't happend with one computer, it is with MANY computers and many different configurations of motherboards, processors, and the rest of components.

And more important, when the installacion crash using multi-boot CD's, if I use a common Windows XP disc (without multiboot), the installation works perfectly. So the problem is caused by the multi boot, not by the computer or the DVD-CD Drive. Que question is ¿What is the error or the multi-boot process?

Then the next thing to figure would be the DVD writer. It may be saying it's writing ok, but there may be small errors, especially if it is reproducable on other computers. The other thing to check would be the RAM with ramtest86, since this is where I got many errors on my system. One of my SIMM's sucked, and had a massive number of errors in it. Try copying the files to a different computer and building the ISO there and burning it.

nd more important, when the installacion crash using multi-boot CD's, if I use a common Windows XP disc (without multiboot), the installation works perfectly. So the problem is caused by the multi boot, not by the computer or the DVD-CD Drive. Que question is ¿What is the error or the multi-boot process?

As hardware professionals I can say the problem is NOT caused by multiboot, but by the combination of your dvd-writer and dvd+/-R/W. If you can reduce the size to fit it on cd(multiboot), then you will find it works fine like all other you windows xp cds.

So go out and buy a qulity DVD-R like Verbatium and a quqlity dvd-writer like NEC 1300A, burn it at 4x, never 8x or higher!

My DVD Writer is a Pioneer A07, so I think it's not the problem, and I always have been written at 4x speed.

According to the test I've made the problem could be the media I've been using: Princo DVD-r 4x certified. I thought it could be the problem long time ago, but the fact of that I founf a quality brand CD with multi boot that presented the same problem made me discard this possibility.

But some days ago, desperate by the problem, and keeping in mind that the DVD's didn't fail always, but most cases, I tryed on a better media, an Intenso DVD+R disk, and up to date, this disk has fail zero times.

I used to write it on princo disk because I always have a master disk (on an high quality rewritable media) and made the needed copies on cheap discs, mainly because I frequently update the content of the DVD.

Thank you very much to all, I hope the mistery will be definetly solved.

As hardware professionals(Sorry, I must repeate it!) I would say your problem is your A07 DVD writer. This writer can work very well with DVD+R medien(all brand), but for DVD-R it is VERY SELECTIVE!!! So only Verbatim, TDK and a few othe branmds of DVD-R can be used with the A07 writer.

Your problem was not the Princo DVD-R 4x, because it works very well with NEC 1300A, NEC 2500/2510, LG 4040B, LG 4081B/4082B...

If you have the Plextor 16x DVD-ROM drive, or a LG-816x drive, I think you can read the disk(burned with the POOR A07 on Princo 4x DVD-R) without any problem. So the right read drive is also very important.

• 10 months later...

I have this exact same problem. It's not the machine I'm building / burning the images on, because it doesn't have any problems in any other area. It's not the machine I'm installing on (currently a Dell Inspiron 2600) because it takes a standard install with a WinXP CD. It's either cdimage that borks it, or my drive (A Sony DW-U18A), or the cheap DVD+R I'm buying. Since I'm stationed in Germany, my options for getting quality DVD+R is pretty slim. I usually end up waiting a month or so for a shipment in the mail as opposed to buying a spindle of 50 cheapass media on post and watching over half of them become coasters.