SP2 setup on Evo D51C: T-39 Win32LastError 14001?

Folks,

I'm trying to build out a Compaq Evo D51C/P1.8/20/p/256c with a rock-solid XP SP2 unattended installer. Using these forums, I have built and tuned this installer since January, and it's been stable on all other platforms I've thrown at it.

Now I have to rebuild these Compaqs, and I'm running into this issue as soon as it starts the GUI install cycle. I am not doing anything "irregular" with my setup - just a WINNT.SIF file, and I've cleaned the directories out of I386 that are not used (WINNTMIG, LANG, etc.). Again, this build works like a CHARM on every other Dell, IBM, Gateway, clone, etc. that I have tried.

What I've done to correct this so far (to no avail):

- Updated BIOS to 2.21 (very latest)

- Completely wiped hard disk, FDISK /MBR, laid down new FAT32 partitions

When you click OK (see screenshot below), the text window showing c:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log shows the following:

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Untranslatable message, Win32LastError is 14001

Has anyone else seen this, and does anyone know how to get around it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Did I delete the LANG folder and somehow I need it just for this machine (this is an English only setup)?

Thanks again,

JP

post-70-1097247855_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I run mine fine on evo d500, d510, and d530; also Dell Optiplex GX250, GX260, and GX270; Also Latitude C510, C610, and d505

I used Nlite to take a winXPsp1 CD, slipstream SP2 into it, and remove the unnecessary directories, but all the components are still there. I added a $oem$ folder for drivers and cmdlines.txt and runonceex

post-70-1101358926_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm still battling this one. I have taken a WinXP RTM (no SP1 or SP2) Corp CD, and folded it into my build and tried again, no joy.

Could this be a WINNT.SIF issue, where a single folder in the Drivers path was misstated (there wasn't anything there)? I wouldn't think so, since it worked fine on all other systems.

Thanks,

JP

its been a very long time since i worked on a compaq laptop.

I do remember having a prob after fdisk'n the harddrive.

seems compaq maintains 2 partitions, one for compaq specific files

and one for your operating system.

This may be where your problem lies...

sharky

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm making progress on this. I created a CD-based installer (instead of doing everything with a DOS floppy over gigabit), and the Compaq's do successfully get through the T-39 phase of the GUI install while using the CD-based installer, whereas those files copied from network failed.

It's odd - I copy all files to the local drive in every case, then run the local copy of the install on the hard disk D:. Why in the heck would a file copied from CD be any different from the same files copied over the network? And on Compaq's have this problem - nothing else?

Still scratching my head...

JP

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Well, I don't know why this is, but I've figured out the issue. These Compaq's work fine when you copy files from CD to the D: drive, then run the installer, but FAIL when you copy the same files over the NETWORK (using a DOS floppy with TCP/IP) and run the installer.

Dunno - maybe it's a caching issue. I use a DOS floppy with SMARTDRV set with a 2MB cache. Maybe that interferes with copying files over ethernet.

So for now, I'm stuck with doing a CD-based install, but formatunately, I've set up my CD so it'll work from the network or CD (initial batch files are slightly changed to copy files from a slightly different location, but since everything happens on D:, that part is identical).

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I only with I could figure out why network copies seem to screw up the installer.

JP