Setting Partition Size during RIS Installation

Morning All,

I have been using RIS to deploy servers for about 2 months and have developed a solution that works for me except for one part, that being the size of the first partition. I need to be able to set it to 20,480 MB in Size. Below is the entry in the unattended section of my ris.sif file.

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall = yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnpDriversPath="drivers\nic;drivers\PnP\cs\il;drivers\PnP\v\atir;drivers\PnP\m\co;drivers\PnP\Storage;drivers\PnP\Storage\Mraid35x;drivers\PnP\N\Intel;drivers\PnP\N\BC;drivers\PnP\Mgmt;drivers\nicteaming\intel"
FileSystem = LeaveAlone
ExtendOemPartition = 20480
TargetPath = \WINDOWS
OemSkipEula = yes
InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

I have looked into this issue and every post I have found says that the the ExtendOemPartition has 3 vaules of "0, 1 & the specific size I want the drive to be"

I have made the necessary changes but no joy, can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

mike.

Ris is great! :thumbup:

In order to repartition manually or automagically, create a new .OSC file on the RIS server one and link it in between the others!

Alter the CUSTOM.OSC to link to a new .OSC file, called HDD.OSC instead of the original OSCUST:

<FORM ACTION="HDD">

Then create HDD.OSC, let it contain something like this:

<OSCML>
<META KEY=F1 HREF="CUSTHELP">
<META KEY=F3 ACTION="REBOOT">
<META KEY=ESC HREF="CUSTOM">
<TITLE>  Client Installation Wizard                                 Repartition  HDD</TITLE>
<FOOTER>  [ENTER] continue     [ESC] go back     [F1] help     [F3] restart computer</FOOTER>
<BODY left=5 right=75>
<BR>
<BR>
Select whether you want to partition the harddisk manually or if the whole disk should be used automatically.
<BR>
<BR>
<FORM ACTION="OSCUST">
Repartiton HDD: <SELECT NAME="REPARTITION" SIZE=2>
<OPTION VALUE="Yes" SELECTED>Yes
<OPTION VALUE="No">No
</SELECT>
</FORM>
</BODY>
</OSCML>

Now you have a variable containing the value "Yes" or "No" depending on whether you select to let the setup repartition the whole drive or not. All you have to do now is to change your .SIF file to use the value of this new parameter where the setup determines whether to repartiion or not:

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition = %REPARTITION%
UseWholeDisk = %REPARTITION%

That's it! :w00t:

Hi Lads,

Thanks for your responese,

Kenedy, if Its a new array I have setup without any partitions on it, where can you set your partition size during the unattended installation? Can you automatically set the initial partition size before extending it?

Krokodox, I will implement what you have suggested and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Mike. :)

if Its a new array I have setup without any partitions on it, where can you set your partition size during the unattended installation?

You can't.

Windows setup can automatically create only one partition on 1st drive.

If you need different partition configuration - you have to use other programs.

You can't.

Windows setup can automatically create only one partition on 1st drive.

If you need different partition configuration - you have to use other programs.

With my method you can! :rolleyes: OK, it will not be RIS that sets the partitions, and you can not pre-set them in a script or in your .SIF file, etc.

What will happen is that Windows setup kicks-in the all-familiar partition-creation routine during the text portion of the "ordinary" setup. Since this happens pretty soon after the Windows setup starts it makes it feel "almost" as if it was a part of the RIS menu system. :whistle:

If anybody is interested I can give more details in how to implement a *full* TCP/IP unattended configuration for a multihomed server setup via RIS. :thumbup:

Lads,

again, thanks for your replies,

Kenedy, I have now configured my RIS images to ask me for the partition sizing during the install, its the only manual step I have to take during the deployment. The rest works prefectly. :)

Krokodox, Any information you would be willing to pass on regarding RIS would be appreciated. PM me and we can talk then. :)

mike.

OK, here it comes, it is a bit tricky, but well worth the trouble. This example shows you how to bind two IP addresses to one LAN adapter. Below there is an example on how to bind one IP adress each to two LAN adapters.

Alter the CUSTOM.OSC file on your RIS server, add the following in between the FORM tags:

<BOLD>LAN </BOLD>IP: <INPUT NAME="IPLAN" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16> / <INPUT NAME="SNLAN" VALUE="0" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16><BR>
<BOLD>WAN </BOLD>IP: <INPUT NAME="IPWAN" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16> / <INPUT NAME="SNWAN" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16><BR>
<BR>
DNS server: <INPUT NAME="DNS" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16><BR>
Gateway: <INPUT NAME="GATEWAY" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16><BR>
<BR>
LAN adapter type: <SELECT NAME="INFIDLAN" SIZE=3>
<OPTION VALUE="PCI\VEN_10b7&DEV_9200">3Com 3C90x
<OPTION VALUE="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229">Intel PRO/100
<OPTION VALUE="PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139" SELECTED>Realtek 8139
</SELECT>

In order to be able to address the "correct" LAN adapter (you might have a Firewire connection, which also counts as a LAN adapter!), you need to point out *which* LAN adapter is to receive your settings. The INFIDLAN makes this, the entries are taken from the .INF file that comes with the adapter(s).

In your .SIF file (located in the i386\templates folder for your image on your RIS server), add the following:

[GuiRunOnce]
"%SystemDrive%\disks\configip.cmd ip %IPLAN% %SNLAN% %IPWAN% %SNWAN% %DNS% %GATEWAY%"

[NetAdapters]
Adapter1 = params.Adapter1
Adapter2 = params.Adapter2

[params.Adapter1]
INFID = %INFIDLAN%
ConnectionName = "Intranet"

[params.Adapter2]
INFID = "*"
;INFID = %INFIDWAN%
;ConnectionName = "Internet"

[NetProtocols]
MS_TCPIP = params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]
AdapterSections = params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1, params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter2

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]
SpecificTo = Adapter1
EnableAdapterDomainNameRegistration = Yes
WINS = No
NetBIOSOptions = 0
DHCP = Yes
;DHCP = No
;IPAddress = %IPLAN%
;SubnetMask = %SNLAN%

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter2]
SpecificTo = Adapter2
EnableAdapterDomainNameRegistration = Yes
WINS = No
NetBIOSOptions = 0
DHCP = Yes
;DHCP = No
;IPAddress = %IPWAN%
;SubnetMask = %SNWAN%
;DNSServerSearchOrder = %DNS%

Now create a CONFIGIP.CMD file (save it in the $OEM$\$1\Disks directory for your RIS image) that uses NETSH.EXE to alter the TCP/IP settings.

ECHO pushd interface ip > ip.txt
ECHO set address name="Intranet" source=static addr=%1 mask=%2 >> ip.txt
ECHO add address name="Intranet" addr=%3 mask=%4 >> ip.txt
ECHO set address name="Intranet" gateway=%6 gwmetric=0 >> ip.txt
ECHO set dns name="Intranet" source=static addr=%5 register=BOTH >> ip.txt
ECHO set wins name="Intranet" source=static addr=none >> ip.txt
ECHO popd >> ip.txt

NETSH < ip.txt > NUL

DEL ip.txt

Note that the name "Intranet" above is the name given to the LAN adapter in the .SIF file above! The name is bound to the adapter during setup with help from the INFIDLAN variable in the CUSTOM.OSC file.

It is actaully much easier to define one IP address per adapter if you have two LAN adapters installed in your computer, that could be arranged in the .SIF file directly without having to call NETSH via a .CMD file. NOTE! It is *much* easier to do multihoming with two LAN adapters if they are from different vendors, otherwise it is difficult to say which one will receive the LAN and whitch one will receive the WAN settings....

What you would need to do is to create an other .OSC file and link it between CUSTOM.OSC and OSCUST.OSC (maybe call it LAN2.OSC) and make it contain the settings for the secondary (WAN) LAN adapter (removing those entries from the example in the CUSTOM.OSC above).

Your CUSTOM.OSC might look something like this then:

<FORM ACTION="LAN2">
<BOLD>LAN </BOLD>IP: <INPUT NAME="IPLAN" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16> / <INPUT NAME="SNLAN" VALUE="0" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16><BR>
<BR>
LAN adapter type: <SELECT NAME="INFIDLAN" SIZE=3>
<OPTION VALUE="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229">Intel PRO/100
<OPTION VALUE="PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139" SELECTED>Realtek 8139
</SELECT>

and LAN2.OSC:

<OSCML>
<META KEY=F1 HREF="CUSTHELP">
<META KEY=F3 ACTION="REBOOT">
<META KEY=ESC HREF="OSCUST">
<TITLE>  Client Installation Wizard                                      WAN setting</TITLE>
<FOOTER>  [ENTER] continue     [ESC] go back     [F1] help     [F3] restart computer</FOOTER>
<BODY left=5 right=75>
<BR>
<BR>
Enter IP settings for the WAN adapter:<BR>
<BR>
<FORM ACTION="OSCUST"><BOLD>WAN </BOLD>IP: <INPUT NAME="IPWAN" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16> / <INPUT NAME="SNWAN" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16><BR>
<BR>
DNS server: <INPUT NAME="DNS" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16><BR>
Gateway: <INPUT NAME="GATEWAY" VALUE="" SIZE=16 MAXLENGTH=16><BR>
<BR>
WAN adapter type: <SELECT NAME="INFIDWAN" SIZE=3>
<OPTION VALUE="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229" SELECTED>Intel PRO/100
<OPTION VALUE="PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139">Realtek 8139
</SELECT>
</FORM>
<BR>
<BOLD>Note:</BOLD> Please enter valid IP address settings for the WAN adapter!<BR>
</BODY>
</OSCML>

You need to separate the LAN and WAN settings to two files due to a bug in the Microsft .OSC interpreter, it is impossible to "leave" a <SELECT...> tag and go to the next, which means that it must reside as the last setting that you will make on any page. :-/

Now uncomment the remarked entries in the .SIF file above, remove the old redundant INFID resp. DHCP settings, and remove the call to CONFIGIP.CMD under [GuiRunOnce], and you are set!

Good luck! :-)