DHCP and MAC

OK Hello :hello:

I'm hoping someone could tell me abit more or push me in the right direction on this.

I want DHCP to assign IP's only to users that have their MAC addresses registered

How can I set this up? Do these MAC addressed get entered some where in DHCP cause I can’t find an entry for it.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Minus Human

What router are you using?

I have a belkin and you must make sure all of your PCs automatically obtain IP in the network connections, then log into your router, make sure that you enable DCHP server, this will hand out ip addresses to your computers.

Then find something called MAC address filtering (while still logged into the router), it should show you a list of network connected computers (make sure they are all turned on unless you know all the MAC addresses, it is eaiser to switch them all on. From this list, add their MAC addresses to the filtering list. And that should do it.

What router are you using?

I have a belkin and you must make sure all of your PCs automatically obtain IP in the network connections, then log into your router, make sure that you enable DCHP server, this will hand out ip addresses to your computers.

Then find something called MAC address filtering (while still logged into the router), it should show you a list of network connected computers (make sure they are all turned on unless you know all the MAC addresses, it is eaiser to switch them all on. From this list, add their MAC addresses to the filtering list. And that should do it.

We use Cisco Routers but our users don't use routers to access any resources. We also have DHCP server active on our network. What I’d like to achieve is to have a list of MAC addresses in a List/database. Based on that the IP's get assigned if your MAC isn't in the list the you don't get an IP.

Sorry if i misunderstand but that's what I’m getting at.

Minus Human

• 3 weeks later...

If i remember, in Win2k Server in the DHCP scope it gives the IP address assigned and the MAC of the PC that has it, along with stationname.

You also assign static IP by MAC of station so, i guess that if you were to turn off DHCP, and static assign, then that would work.