Maxthon switch?

atlas95

Okay, steps given below. Its not nearly as difficult as the number of steps below seem to suggest (carrying out all of the below will only take 5 minutes in total). If you don't want to make another post saying "doesn't work" following the below EXACTLY will help, lol. Here we go:

Maxthon as default browser on Windows XP (SP1 or higher):

1. If you want to disable IEAccess, then have the necessary values for that in winnt.sif, otherwise go to next step.

2. Ensure that OEMPreinstall=yes in winnt.sif.

3. Since Maxthon is based off IE and will use its settings too, look-up this topic for IE configuration - IE6 pre-config.

4. Install Maxthon manually.

5. Configure it to how you like it (the settings, toolbars, etc.)

6. Just before you close it, set it to ask "Do you want to make Maxthon your default Browser" (from "Options >> Startup" menu) - Since that is what will set the protocols to Maxthon after asking you, upon first-run.

7. Copy away Maxthon's installed folder (C:\Program Files\Maxthon) to elsewhere to have a safe copy.

8. Now put that folder onto your unattended CD - "\$OEM$\$Progs\Maxthon\" folder should now exist.

9. Explanation - The above way, during windows setup, you have it being copied automatically to "%ProgramFiles%\Maxthon"

10. Put the short-cut to Maxthon too - make a shortcut to it on the desktop, and put it as - "\$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Maxthon.lnk"

11. Now, the registry entries in next steps. Put these in any of your existing .REG files, which are applied at T-12 (through cmdlines.txt).

12. Of course, remember that since its more complex to make registry entries path-independant, all the paths below are absolute paths (its more difficult to use system variables like %ProgramFiles% in .REG files). So change the paths according to your installed folders.

13. Self-explanatory registry entry

; remember Maxthon setup folder
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Maxthon]
"Folder"="C:\\Program Files\\Maxthon"

14. Self-explanatory again:

;Make Maxthon the default browser from Start Menu

;Set the Start Menu sticky apps
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet]
@="Maxthon"

; Give details for the Internet Browser (as mentioned above)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Maxthon]
"LocalizedString"="Maxthon Web Browser"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Maxthon\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Maxthon\\Maxthon.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Maxthon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Maxthon\\Maxthon.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Maxthon"

15. That's all. Make your CD and it should work. No IE, only Maxthon. ;) Enjoy!

Note that after your first install of Maxthon once, there's no need anymore to use the original installer in which it came.

If there's any errors in the above (well, other than the bad points relating to absolute paths), do post and tell. Hoping this helps....

just a suggestion.. make your *.reg file an INF so it will be more versitile , paths & such :D
@MCT

yes, I know...

And I also know its possible by using system variables thru REG.exe (command-line) as well.

But, oooh.... my aching fingers. I simply don't have the energy (and I'm happy enough with .REGs everywhere - unlike alanoll the expert, who is INF everywhere, lol - just too difficult to keep track of INFs). If someone can make a fail-proof INF that does the above, and also gives a simple instructions step-by-step, its welcome. ;)

ill do it for something 2 do lol

ill report back in about 20 mins :P

EDIT:

its been like 23 mins, my bad :P lol

[VERSION]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=maxthon

[maxthon]
; remember Maxthon setup folder
HKCU,"Software\Maxthon,"Folder",0x00000000,"%16422%\Maxthon"

;Make Maxthon the default browser from Start Menu

;Set the Start Menu sticky apps
HKCU,"Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet",,,"Maxthon"

; Give details for the Internet Browser (as mentioned above)

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Maxthon","LocalizedString",0x00000000,"Maxthon Web Browser"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Maxthon\shell\open\command",,,"%16422%\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Maxthon",,,"%16422%\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Maxthon","Path",0x00000000,"%16422%\Maxthon"

i named mine "maxthon.inf" & thats what ill use for the example below :P

to install maxthon.inf silently:

put this in your *.cmd file

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\maxthon.inf

the above code works if maxthon.inf is in same directory as your cmd file :)

hi,

that is really what i searched for

thank you very much!

where sould the "maxthon.inf" be saved to?

same folder where runoncecmd.bat is?

and is this then right to add in .cmd:

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /VE /D "Maxthon 1.1.039" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\105 /V 1 /D "rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\maxthon.inf" /f

thanks

alex

@MCT

Great! (of course, this is not going to make me shift from using opera)

Great news for a large number of people who disable IE and use Maxthon instead.

Ha ha, it still beats me.... what is the magic here, that multiple people get together and evolve cool and easy ways to do things. :D Maybe if I find time again, I'll post another set of steps, that integrate using your INF as well (instead of .REG).

@rodent

You can put the INF anywhere you want to. Just remember that you should have carried out the steps previously mentioned as well - i.e., you should have Maxthon located in the %ProgramFiles% for the INF to be useful.

Once that is done, you can just put the INF in "$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\" folder (for example). If you did so, you need to run this command:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %SystemDrive%\install\Applications\maxthon.inf

There's no real compulsory location to place your INF. Just keep the INF where you want, and tell the command to run it from that location, that's all.

**** fast reply,

just like chatting^^

thanks

do i have to use this:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %SystemDrive%\install\Applications\maxthon.inf

then between:

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /V 1 /D " " /f

thanks again

alex

Yes. Just run this much. (the command without REG ---- sort of things)

DIRECTLY from a batch-file (.CMD) - maybe use the same batch-file which you run from cmdlines.txt to do the RunOnce entries too.

I'd say better not bother with using RunOnce sort of entries. If you're only beginning out with them, they cause too many problems to be able to track down.