SAV vs. NAV ?

Hello,

I am confused as to the differences between Symantec AntiVirus (v9) and Symantec Norton AntiVirus (2005). Are both updated/secure/reliable virusscans?

Do either of them have features that the other does NOT have?

I have, in the past, used NAV, but I just got SAV to see it, and it appears (to my untrained eye) to be NAV without the eye-candy. Is this the only difference?

Does SAV auto-update the virusdefs like NAV? Or do I have to manually start LiveUpdate to get the processes started?

Sorry if this is a little off-topic but it is important for me to understand the differences between these two products.

Thanks!!

SAV9 is the corporate version - usually used in business environments as can run off a local server running the server version (downloads definitions, etc and clients access that instead of separately getting updates off the net).

2004/5 is the basic "home" version, designed for normal people running it as a standalone program and updating when they're online.

At least that's what I can tell from using both in the past. Just try each and see how they work for what you want to do with them.

can SAV9 be used as a stand-alone "home" version?

I would like to use it (MUCH easier for Unattended installs), but I have to know that it is both AS POWERFUL, and EASILY UPDATED as norton.

(for example, I know every so often NAV will give a pop-up to update virus defs. will SAV also?)

>>can SAV9 be used as a stand-alone "home" version?

Sure.

But its not really meant to - smallest number of licences you can buy is 10 (if I remember right).

>>I would like to use it (MUCH easier for Unattended installs), but I have to know that it is both AS POWERFUL, and EASILY UPDATED as norton.

Yes to both. And I like it much better than NAV.