Can my IIS host my own dot.com

Hello,

I have a website call myweb.com, for example, which is hosted by a paid ISP.

But now I have built an IIS website at home, call myhome.com, for example.

May I ask, can I use my IIS website to host myweb.com?

If I can, I really don't know how. May you tell me how?

I am a newbie, so please use easy terms.

Thank you very much.

Shun Tang

All you need is a static IP and then have your A record point to that static IP.

You should at least use a SOHO router and point port 80 to the PC on your network that hosts the site.

...too bad most cable and DSL don't provide static IPs - nor enough upstream bandwidth for a few users :(

By the way, there are some companies a la dyndns that provide DNS services, even if you have a dynamic IP (with a client app that updates the IP every so often). It works well but it's no help for the bandwidth problem (even with gzip and all, you can only accomodate so many visitors at once)

shuntang,

if you look around for web hosting prices, it is worth it to pay a couple dollars every month to have a site hosted if you are going to have a lot hosted. i have a basic site, with a flash mp3 player and a forum. i'd never have the bandwidth to host something like that and setting up mysql and php is a headache for novices (like me). i would recommend going with a hosting service such as emax. i like them cause of low prices and unlimited mysql packages. :) now i just need to sign up.... lol

Thank you cancer10.

But they (NetworkSolutions.com) demand two different DNS, and I have just one IIS machine.

How shall people deal with this problem usually?

Shun Tang

Apparently they are asking for the ns1 and ns2 (i.e name server1 and name server 2) isn't it?

You need some one to host the dns entry for you or you can find a free one on the net.

The you need dyndns and a router (most soho routeres does) price about 100$ that support automatic logon to dyndns.

Then setup you hostname to be a cname for you dyndns name eg. www.myhost.com cname myhost.dyndns.org.

I have had one on the internet for almost 1 year it works just fin except when my ISP cut my internet connection.

hope this helps you futher.

-Peter ;)

Better safe than sorry.