setupreg.hiv not found - unattended setup aborts

mahi

I have a weird problem. I'm at my first attempt to create a simple unattended Windows XP SP2 cd that's stripped from some useless stuff. I used nLite. The cd boots fine, Windows setup starts but after a while it says it cannot find "setupreg.hiv" and the setup aborts. However, when I take a look at the contents of the cd image nLite created, the file "setupreg.hiv" is in the "i386" folder. I'm not sure what's going wrong.

I slipstreamed SP2 into my XP as described on the Microsoft website. Then I used nLite to strip a few programs I don't use (nothing too important). After that I used nLite to create the iso image which I burnt with Nero.

Anyone has an idea what went wrong and how I can fix this?

Update: Well actually setup doesn't say it cannot find the file, it says it cannot load the file. The exact message is:

File setupreg.hiv could not be loaded.

The error code is 32768

But that doesn't help me any further...

Ok, nevermind this question... I found the problem. It seems the cd-rw media I wrote the image to contains errors. Not sure how they come there, I've used that disc many times before without problems. But when I use another cd-rw disc, setup continues as normal.

I've had the same problem using crappy CD-R disks as well as CD-RW disks that hadn't had a full level format in a while.

So, thats a message to everyone out there, if setup says it can't find a file, just try reburning it on more dependable media.