Encrypting a Whole External HDD?

mutahir

Hello All,

Due to some sensitive data on my external USB Hard disk which is 80GB, i would like to encrypt the whole disk or at least ONE of its Partitions. It has 4 partitions of 20GB.

Is there any software (free/paid) through which i can encrypt the disk/partition and on which i can rely atleast that if someone stoles it or connects it it won't let them access that data.

Also, how would i decrypt it? do i need to install there software on every machine i wud use my USB 2 HDD ON to access that particular partition.

Thanks and regards

Mutahir

If you are using Windows XP or 2003, you can use EFS (Encrypted File-System). While making the partition itself, choose to use NTFS and enable encryption - and then right-click any folder and choose "Encrypt".

But don't ever re-install windows on the computer from where you're going to access that Hard-disk without moving away the data on the external HD to some un-encrypted place. Because the encryption and file-permissions might rely on existing windows users and their SIDs.

You can Use PGP 8. It has a fonction called PGP Disk that allow you to create a virtual encrypted partion. The positive point is that u can chose to encrypt from a PGP Key or from a username/password. You will not loose ur date if u format your windows client.

If you are using Windows XP or 2003, you can use EFS (Encrypted File-System). While making the partition itself, choose to use NTFS and enable encryption - and then right-click any folder and choose "Encrypt".

But don't ever re-install windows on the computer from where you're going to access that Hard-disk without moving away the data on the external HD to some un-encrypted place. Because the encryption and file-permissions might rely on existing windows users and their SIDs.

If you Use EFS, There's a way to backup your Key to decrypt data BEFORE you format ur windows client. You can go thru Internet Explorer, Tool, Options, Content, certificates, and then export.

After formating your client, just import the certificat using the same method.

WATCH OUT ! ATTENTION ! CAUTION ! ::

After importing the certificat, it will allow you to decrypt only the previously encrypted data, IF YOU EDIT PREVIOUSLY ENCRYPTED DATE WITH YOUR NEW WINDOWS... IT WILL RÉ-ENCRYPT FROM A NEW CERTIFICAT.

Never use EFS.. lost key (in file or not backup this key and reinstall win) = lost you data.

I recommended to try Drivecrypt or Bestcrypt. I use Drivecrypt 4years. You can crypt partiton or create virtual partition in standard file - is good for test. I dont test work with external (USB) device.