Newbie Questions Here!

ank

xiaodown:

Just a comment on something earlier you said....

Hrm, now XPCREATE gets to the point where it's downloading:

-- 8:29:57 -- Downloading: SVC-X2M\mm20enu.EXE

-- 8:57:23 -- Downloading: SVC-X2M\mm20enu.EXE

If you have a local copy of this file already somewhere (make sure its the exact one) copy it to the SVC-X2m directory and make it read only. Then the downloader wont be able to delete it - you may get a 'access denied' message appear but it should work still :)

ahhhh...it seems they've released 2.1 and may have changed the location of the files. Take a look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...es/default.mspx

I cant seem to find a direct download link for mm20enu.exe anymore :(

hmmm....doesnt even seem to be listed in the windows update catalog lists anymore (searched the Windows RTM, SP1 and SP2 lists). Guess they expect you to update to SP2 for this now - v2.1 inc in SP2)

bah!

Regards,

N.

Hrm, now XPCREATE gets to the point where it's downloading:

--  8:29:57 -- Downloading: SVC-X2M\mm20enu.EXE

--  8:57:23 -- Downloading: SVC-X2M\mm20enu.EXE

Something wrong here ... Please post your LOGFILES.CAB for me to take a looksee. If that has not yet been created XPCREATE.LOG.

Also, though I've not used it, I was under the impression that the SUS server DOES work like your own local Windows Update Server, though it is in the process of being re-evaluated/rewritten.

Please post the logs so I can get a grasp on what is going on.

Thanks

@GM:

hehe I've edited the other post now - yep, you're impression is quite correct from the instructions I've been told by our county IT helpdesk on advising me about it.

I've edited the other post and the one before you one here (trying to keep one step ahead of you - impossible I know hehe ;))

@GM:

The file doesn't appear twice in the log, that's two different entries from two different attempts at this process. I opened the log files while it was waiting to download, and that's the step at the very bottom.

The half hour between accounts for the time that I let it sit, and then I removed the files and started over from scratch.

Gotta go to work, will work on this more later tonite.

~Will

hehe I think I'll quote myself:

ahhhh...it seems they've released 2.1 and may have changed the location of the files. Take a look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...es/default.mspx

I cant seem to find a direct download link for mm20enu.exe anymore

Please prove me wrong ;)

Then again, they may have put the file avalible again - dont see why not if you cant even download mm20enu.exe

Regards,

Nath

*smugly grins*

Told ya ;)

On the 31st Aug, I couldnt find it *anywhere* (and couldnt find a link for 2.1 either) - Windows Update, download center, nowhere (except 3rd party sites)

Whats the link for 2.1? I take it that you've got it!?

:D

Its included in SP2 tho right?

Regards,

Nath

Windows Movie Maker 2.1 Download information page by M$

Download Movie Maker 2.1 for Windows XP

Movie Maker 2.1 is available for download with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

You can download SP2 and all future critical updates automatically by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP.

You can also download SP2 and Movie Maker 2.1 from Windows Update. If you cannot use Automatic Updates or download SP2 via Windows Update, order a CD.

Updated: August 25, 2004

I don't have an available XP SP1 box (mine are all at SP2).

If someone has MM 2.1 listed in their available updates list, please send me a quick email before downloading / installing it - I'll send you the address of my proxy so I can catch the address of MM 2.1 in the logs.

-J

Windows Movie Maker 2.1Says,

Microsoft Windows Movie Maker 2.1 is included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

This means that when you update to SP2, you'll get new security fixes, increased compatibility with other video and audio programs, and improved stability for Windows Movie Maker.

then a look here: Windows Movie Maker 2.1 Download says,
System Requirements

Here's what you'll need to use Windows Movie Maker 2.1.

Component Requirement Recommendation

Operating System

SP2 for Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional

*Edited for content.*

Therefore one can only assume that it's not part of a download but an inclusion in Windows XP SP2, which is the only way it can be obtained at this time.