NIS 2005 plus NSW 2005

totoymola

Hello!

I have a problem installing these programs. I just want to install them silently so I use these commands in my RunOnceEx.cmd

REG ADD %KEY%\009 /VE /D "Norton Internet Security 2005" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NIS2005\SYMSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Norton SystemWorks 2005" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NSWP2005\NSWSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb" /f

It installs the Norton Internet Security 2005 silently. No problem with that. The problem is when the installation of Norton SystemWorks 2005 starts, it says
Setup has detected that a previous Install or Uninstall has been completed but requires a restart.  Please restart your computer then launch setup again.

What command should I add in between them? Or.. is it really not possible to install these two programs without a restart in between? Thanks.

It does look that way. Both the two are extremely bloated, and so require re-boot in-between.

But I see two things:

1. Use the "/QB" switch - "/O" alone is not enough.

2. Deleting the NAV folder (and related objects) from NIS 2005 install, might help. Because it gets installed through NSW as well. So maybe that conflict is what forces a re-boot.

But I see two things:

1. Use the "/QB" switch - "/O" alone is not enough.

2. Deleting the NAV folder (and related objects) from NIS 2005 install, might help. Because it gets installed through NSW as well. So maybe that conflict is what forces a re-boot.

So what is the exact command that I have to use? I don't it get it. Do I have to change

REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NIS2005\SYMSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NSWP2005\NSWSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb" /f

to

REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NIS2005\SYMSETUP.EXE /QB REBOOT=ReallySuppress /O" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NSWP2005\NSWSETUP.EXE /QB REBOOT=ReallySuppress /O" /f

Is that what you are trying to say?

If it requires reboot in between the two installation, can I just insert a reboot command in between them? After rebooting, will it continue installing Norton Systemworks? What command exatly is it?

Hi!

Well!

AFAIK, this problem is related to temporary files and folders thrown to your %TEMP% directory by NIS and NSW at the time of installation.

The second program you install finds those temporary files and folders which were expected to be deleted.

Therefore, I think deleting all contents of the %TEMP% directory is a possible solution.

You can execute the following batch after the the first installation completes and before the second installation begins.

cls

@echo off

ECHO Deleting temporary files and folders

del %TEMP%\*.*

RD /S /Q %TEMP%\

EXIT

Please, post back whether it works or not.

cls

@echo off

del %TEMP%\*.*

RD /S /Q %TEMP%\

EXIT

In a way, it works. It lets the installation of NSW begin. However, I encountered two problems after using this.

First, when the command above starts, the command prompt pops up and says:

Deleting temprorary files and folders

C:\DOCUME~1\Testing\LOCALS~1\Temp\*.*, Are you sure (Y/N)?

This makes the installation not unattended.

Second, when the NSW installation begins, it automatically starts the pre-installation virus scan. Please see the picture below.

I waited for an hour but it never stopped, so the installation did not continue. Im using this command in my runonceex.cmd

REG ADD %KEY%\012 /VE /D "Norton Internet Security 2005" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\012 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NIS2005\SYMSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\012 /V 2 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NIS2005\deltemp.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\013 /VE /D "Norton SystemWorks 2005" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\013 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\NSW2005\NSWSETUP.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb" /f

Is there a switch that I can use to prevent the pre-installation virus scan form starting automatically?

I'll try to delete the NAV folder inside the NSW installation files, like prathapml said.

post-80-1096621710_thumb.jpg

Please, add this line to your batch:

cls

@echo off

attrib -r %TEMP%\*.*

del %TEMP%\*.*

RD /S /Q %TEMP%\

EXIT

Doing so, you won't have "Are you sure (Y/N)?" showing up.

I'm afraid deleting NAV folder inside NSW installation files can make NSW complain. However, you can try it and see what happens.

Well! No problem. You can add /y to the del command:

cls

@echo off

attrib -r %TEMP%\*.*

del %TEMP%\*.* /y

RD /S /Q %TEMP%\

EXIT

Also, add CHECKPREV=0 to command line of NSW. So, it won't check if NAV was installed with NIS. Your command line for installing NSW becomes: /qb /O CHECKPREV=0 REBOOT=ReallySuppress

I hope this helps.