I need a "Newbie Guide" to installing Adobe Reader

goga

Hi Guys

Using MSFN's excellent guides I've created a working Unattended disc and have no problems with driver installation and creating my user account with the following 3 files: autologon.reg, cmdlines.txt and useraccounts.cmd which I've placed in the $OEM$ file.

I've been reading up but it escapes me: How do I install my applications?

I would like to stick to using the same type of file as above as I'm comfortable with this - what I am asking for is an id***'s guide to installing say Acrobat Reader.

I guess that is what the $Progs file is for, but what EXACTLY do I put in that folder?

I'm hoping I can then do the same with other programs

:blushing:

goga, welcome to MSFN.

The official unattended guide - http://unattended.msfn.org

That one has all the info you need. If you have any problems, read it once again, and eventually it will all fall into place for you (yeah, that's how it worked out for me as well). Put the things described (including the applications section) there into action, and then you'll eventually understand it.

I'd recommend using a Re-Writable CD for your testings, so that CD-media doesn't go waste. All the best. :thumbup:

EVERYTHING in $Prog will be copied over to %ProgramFiles% , and that's not where to put things that need to be installed.

As prathapml, read the guide. That IS the "newbie" guide. Just AVOID ANY MENTION OF RUNONCEEX, and stick with the simple start /wait stuff in a command prompt.

You basic files should be , install.cmd and cleanup.cmd. Both of which are in $OEM$\$1\Install. Then add this to your WINNT.SIF file

[GUIRUNONCE]
"%systemdrive%\install\install.cmd

Work from there. Read the guide, and any thing you want installed, enter the lines into install.cmd. don't worry about cleanup.cmd till your done. All it does is basically removes all the setup files from the things you've installed.

you could try this in your cmd file:

ofcourse, adapt "Bin\AdobeReader6\AR6.msi" to your path...

echo.Installing Adobe Reader 6.01 with speed optimization...
start /wait Bin\AdobeReader6\AR6.msi /QN >nul
if exist "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional" rmdir /S /Q "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional"
ren "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins" "Optional"
md "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins"
move /Y "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional\Search.api" "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\Search.api"
move /Y "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional\Search5.api" "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\Search5.api"
move /Y "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional\EWH32.api" "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\EWH32.api"
move /Y "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional\IA32.api" "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\IA32.api"
move /Y "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional\HLS.api" "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\HLS.api"
copy /Y "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\Optional\AcroSign.prc" "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\plug_ins\AcroSign.prc"

upper method will accelerate your acrobat reader's startup enormously...

Thank you Guys

have read and re-read but untill your reply has'nt made much sense to me

Alanoll, your input is great - I think thats exactly what I'm after:

I've created a folder in $1\Install called AcrobatReader and exctracted this file to it: AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe

Then should I create this file - AcrobatReader.cmd with the following text in it ?

START /wait %systemdrive%\install\AcrobatReader\AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe /quiet /passive /qn /norestart REBOOT=ReallySuppressEXIT

and place it in the Install folder?

Must I also have a AcrobatReader.txt file with the following in it?

[COMMANDS]

"AcrobatReader.cmd"

Then make this change to my .SIF file:

[GUIRUNONCE]

"%systemdrive%\install\AcrobatReader.cmd

??

@goga

Why do you want to suffer this much just to install Acrobat reader unattended? Steps given below:

1. Download RyanVM's silent installing pack from here - http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/acroread602.exe

2. Have this folder on your CD (make them if not already there) - "$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\"

3. Put the file you just downloaded, into that folder.

4. So now, confirm you have this on the CD - "$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\acroread602.exe"

5. Now, you have to put this line in your winnt.sif:

[GuiRunOnce]
  %systemdrive%\install\Applications\acroread602.exe

6. That's all - a 2 minutes job!

7. Do the rest of your unattended CD, in the way you normally did, and make the CD.

Follow it exactly, and you'll have Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.02 English version, installed silently.

Enjoy! Do post back on how it goes for you.

hi buletov

ok so i tried the stuff i put in my previous post and it didn't work - so i checked out the guide for Acrobat Reader but it doesn't tell me where to put the batch file, and now i'm trying the following:

in the $1\Install folder ive added a folder called AcrobatReader in which I have the executable : AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe

also in $1\install i have the file: AcrobatReader.cmd with following text :

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Adobe Reader 6

ECHO Please wait

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\AcrobatReader\AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""

and in $1\Install i have the file: AcrobatReader.txt with the following text :

[COMMANDS]

"AcrobatReader.cmd"

and in the .SIF file i've added :

[GuiRunOnce]

"%systemdrive%\install\AcrobatReader.cmd"

Do you mean i dont need the AcrobatReader.txt file?

ja really - I've got three coffee coasters already with trying to do this acrobat thing

:D

hi prathapml

thanks for that

really this will be the first application that i include in my unattended which otherwise works great with drivers and user info

and i'd really like to get to grips with this so that i can include other apps

my other PC has just finished with the install as per the 2.40 pm post and its done it! :thumbup:w00t:

just for interest sake and for future reference, if I add the

[GuiRunOnce]

then obviously i need the AcrobatReader.cmd but it seems I dont need the

AcrobatReader.txt with the following text:

[COMMANDS]

"AcrobatReader.cmd"

??

hi alanoll

Ok so now i'm confused again

it installed ok with those three things

the .SIF including the following:

[GuiRunOnce]

and AcrobatReader.cmd sitting in the $1\Install folder

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Adobe Reader 6

ECHO Please wait

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\AcrobatReader\AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""

and AcrobatReader.txt with the following text:

[COMMANDS]

"AcrobatReader.cmd"

which of these don't I need?