KB884020 and tcp patch

seblu

Hi everybody,

i was about to make an unattended cd with your patch of tcpip.sys (2505), when WU showed to me a new update (KB884020). This patch update your tcpip.sys an other files. I have just add this update in svcpack.inf but i don't kown what can i patch the tcpip.sys file after installation. Because the patch run before the copy of tcpip.sy_ by windows. After the WFP protect this file. Can you help me ?

kb884020.exe /integrate:c:\xpcd

adjust the filenames/folders appropriately

If you want to use the patched version, you have to add the registry entries that tell WU that the update's already installed. Otherwise, add it after the fact by overwriting the copies in dllcache and system32\drivers

ok, i understand.  Before integrate process i remplace tcpip.sys file.

Thank you !

I think you're misunderstanding me.

You can use the /integrate switch to integrate the hotfix into the Windows install source. However, the hotfix will still run from svcpack.inf in order to create the needed registry entries (which tell WindowsUpdate that the hotfix is installed). When it runs, it'll overwrite the patched tcpip.sys you put in i386.

So, you have two options:

1.) Copy the patched tcpip.sys AFTER the svcpack.inf stage of Windows setup. You'll need to copy it to both dllcache and system32\drivers.

2.) Put the patched TCPIP.sys in your i386 directory without using the /integrate command, so the hotfix doesn't run. If you do that, you'll need to create the registry entries that the hotfix would normally create so it doesn't appear on WindowsUpdate.