Windows XP IIs5.1 FTP authentication

emun

I'm running IIS 5.1 on windows xp just to do some general hosting.. nothing too major... for some reason i cant get FTP to work. I can ping the Server cannot login after I enter userid and password. please help .... :(

How did you setup the user account? Did you make a new user that's locally assigned to that PC? Also make sure that the user has at least read rights on the folder they are directed too.

Easiest way to get it working...

Create an new group, call it something like FTP (or two groups, FTP-readonly, FTP-Full). Give this group at least read access to the c:\inetpub\ftproot directory. Then make a new user, give them a password and add them to the FTP group.

If that doesn;t work, maybe walk us through how you are setting up a FTP user.

Paul

I don't know why people want to use IIS for ftp. It's very good for serving web pages, but ftp wise it's about the worst for the job. There's tons of ftp servers out there, and I'm sure that there are some free ones (and they can only be better than IIS for that). I like G6 ftp server (more than serv-u and all others).

Thanks for the responses

I was getting the following

Err; mSG 530 uSER <uSERNAME> CANNOT LOGIN. Login failed

I was able to enable FTP authentication by clearing the ALLOW ONLY ANONYMOUS CONNECTIONS SECURITY check box. According to the instruction it was supposed to be selected.

Next question will be can FTP user isolation be achieved in IIS 5.1 where each user is placed and restricted to their home directories?

Here's your problem:

This problem occurs when the home directory of the FTP site does not exist or the user does not have Read permissions to the home directory.
And for the fix, just go over the guide:
Right click on the FTP Sites in MMC, choose Help.  In Help, go to Internet Information Services, Server Administration, FTP Site Administration.  Follow the guide for setting up a FTP site *to the letter* and make sure you have the folder names correct for the isolation mode you use.  Set NTFS permissions on the home folders and you're done.  If you need access to a different folder than the home folder, use a Virtual Folder in the site.

The main thing is getting permissions 100% correct or you'll get that login error. It might as well say access denied, check security premissions.

Paul

Achieved FTP user isolation w/IIS v5.0:

What I did was create a directory for each user under the deafualt ftp diretory

\Inetpub\ftproot\. It works fine when users login they are in their respective directory.

On IIS 6.0 they have the iterface in the IIS manager.