SP2 + BitTorrent = Connection "Flacky" ?

domokunrulz

Hi !

I've noticed that when I'm using BitTorrent to download files and I open a Internet Explorer window to browse the Internet, every five minutes or so my connection pretty much crashes.

I do have the tcpip.sys patch installed for 50 concurrent connections, just re-verified to make sure that it wasn't patched over by WU.

I have a D-Link 704-p router which I'm pretty much holding responsible for all my connection troubles, although it is working pretty good when BitTorrent isn't working..

Would it be possible that BitTorrent is trying to connect to too many sources, using all my 50 ports opened by Windows, which would cause to mess my connection ?

Thanks alot.

domo.

If you're running a cable modem or DSL or heck, any setup that isn;t a t1 or better than you have to remember that you have a bandwith limit. Sure you can have millions of connections, but if they can;t all make it thru the modem, you don;t see any gain. Once you hit that bandwith limit, nothing else goes through.

For instance I use road runner and have a personal FTP site and another PC that mainly does bittorrent downloads. When somebody is downloading off the FTP and BT is uploading at a good rate the 60KB/sec upload speed that is capped by every ISP is hit and no other data requests can go out. Even though my download limit (500KB/sec or so) isn;t even being touched, since the upload was being flooded, any requests for web pages and other things were going horribly slow. Unplugged either the FTP or the BT box and the internet flies again.

bottom line: You are hitting the cap of the upload speed that your ISP lets you. Try it. Next time stuff sucks, do a ping test to google:

"ping www.google.con -n 10000" and let it go in a command window. I'll bet the time sucks 400ms+. Kill a few things that are uploading (file sharing, BT, etc) and I bet that ping time gets much, much better.

Paul