Could u pls check my Via/Nvidia chipset install?

midiboy

Hi everyone !

Since I don´t have any NVIDIA nor VIA chipset board available for testing, would you please, please :hello: check if I did everything right ? I think I got it right but I am not sure and also I don´t know how the NVIDIA AudioUtility should be installed during RunOnceEx.cmd ( because it should only install when needed, meaning only on NVIDIA chipset boards with onboard audio ).

Here´s what I did:

1. I extracted NVIDIA and VIA chipset into the $OEM$\$1\drivers folder

2. I put this into my winnt.sif:

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Via\;Drivers\Via\AGP\;Drivers\Via\IdeFilter\;
Drivers\Via\IDEWinXP\;Drivers\Via\Inf;Drivers\Via\WinXP\;Drivers\Nvidia\;
Drivers\Nvidia\AudioDrv\;Drivers\Nvidia\Ethernet\;Drivers\Nvidia\Ethernet\PreNRM\WinXP\;
Drivers\Nvidia\GART\;Drivers\Nvidia\IDE\WinXP\;Drivers\Nvidia\MemCtl\;Drivers\Nvidia\SMBus\"

If I read everything correctly, this should be all that is needed for the Via chipset but NVIDIA chipset needs the audio utility to be installed seperately:

How do I test for an NVIDIA board with onboard audio ?

Would my line in runonceex.cmd be like this:

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\drivers\NVIDIA\AudioUtl\Setup.exe -s" /f

if the supplied setup.iss file in the AudioUtl folder looks like this ?

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v6.00.000
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[{D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-DlgOrder]
Dlg0={D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-SdWelcome-0
Count=2
Dlg1={D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-SdFinish-0
[{D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-SdWelcome-0]
Result=1
[Application]
Name=NvMixer
Version=1.50.000
Company=NVIDIA Corporation
[{D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-SdFinish-0]
Result=1
bOpt1=0
bOpt2=0

Will this work without userinput or worse, reboot ?

Since I cannot make my own iss file because I don´t have any NVIDIA board available for testing, could you please check if I am making any mistake ??

Thanks very very much for your help !

Bye,

Alex

The problem you will most likely have is that it will attempt to install these drivers even on a computer that doesn't have/use their drivers only to get errors either during the installation or after the initial logon. From my prior experience of attempting this scenerio when using a motherboard not compatible with these drivers, it made the installation freeze and give out all kinds of errors. My advice is to wait until you have booted into the O/S to apply the NVidia audio panel using a shortcut or something which can be deleted if your not using an Nvidia board. As far as making sure you have all the other drivers for your motherboards, I would reccommend removing all the internal folders and putting everything into a folder such as Nvidia or Via, in this manner:

~\Drivers\
.....Intel
.....NVidia
.....Via

Then in your WinNT.sif file you can call just your Intel, Nvidia, or Via folder like this:

Drivers\Intel;Drivers\NVidia;Drivers\Via.

This will allow you to cut down on your calls, as well as allow for your individual boards find their drivers without any other calls as WinNT.sif will look for them when OemPreinstall=Yes. What it will need to find is the .inf files which if you move everything from their seperate folders into one folder will require less calls for the individual drivers. Since there is no duplication of the files in NVidia, (this is the one I know, not sure about the others,) placing them all into one folder will make it easier. I should note that if there are any folders such as "WinXP" or anything like that in the folder without any other files in the main folder you can pull those files out and place them directly into the Nvidia folder. For ex:

~\Nvidia\
...Audio
...Audio Utility
...Ethernet
...Ethernet\NRM
......\NRM\WinXP
...Ethernet\WinXP
...Gart
...IDE
...IDE\WinXP
...MemCtl
...SMBus

can all be compressed down to:

~\Nvidia\
...AudioUtility
...NRM
...NRM\WinXP

Now I would like to mention, if your not going to be installing on 64-bit systems, you can do without the NRM folder as it only works on Nforce3 motherboards which are only compatible with 64-bit systems. The audio utility can be done away with as well as the audio drivers if your not using them either because your motherboard isn't fully nforce compatible (such as a chaintech,) or because your using another sound card for audio (such as MAudio.) Same can be used for the other drivers in the pack, though for 99.9% of Nvidia boards the rest are used.

If you include the AudioUtility folder, I reccommend putting a shortcut to the installer on the desktop using $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop folder. This will allow for installation only on those motherboards that actually use it. Same for the NRM.

HTH.

Hi DisabledTrucker,

thanks for your lengthy reply ! ;)

I am not sure I correctly understand though:

The problem you will most likely have is that it will attempt to install these drivers even on a computer that doesn't have/use their drivers only to get errors either during the installation or after the initial logon.
Did you say this because of my attempt to install the audio utility during runonceex or because I left all the inf files in their folders and added each path in my winnt.sif ? Since I already added all those paths to my winnt.sif it is no extra burden to do so and I gathered from recent threads on this subject that this is the preferred method.

Would putting every file from the subdirectories into one folder change anything except making the line in winnt.sif more "readable" ?

If you include the AudioUtility folder, I reccommend putting a shortcut to the installer on the desktop using $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop folder. This will allow for installation only on those motherboards that actually use it. Same for the NRM.

Mhh, I´d rather not do this through shortcuts because this shortcut would also appear on INTEL systems for instance and it would then be up to the user to install this which I would like to avoid ( my future user base probably does not know about the internals of their PC´s )

I have read in recent threads that one can test for certain hardware by running a script or by testing for the existance of special files. However I only found references to ATI video cards not NVIDIA chipset boards ...

I know that my runonceex should read something like:

if exists ......... then REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\drivers\NVIDIA\AudioUtl\Setup.exe -s" /f

but I am not sure what to "test" for that would always be present on an NVIDIA board with activated onboard NVIDIA audio.

Thanks for your help !

Alex

@midiboy

yeah, its a matter of personal choice of whether or not to merge all the nVidia chipset drivers into one folder. If you feel your paths need to be more "readable" (as you said), then do it, otherwise don't.

I'm not sure whether the ISS will work fine, without a reboot - you never know until after the fact of testing. As for the "if exist" you're right on the track that's the correct way. My CMD does this:

if exist %systemroot%\system32\nvaudio.nvu start %systemroot%\PnPdrvrs\nF\AudioUtl\Setup.exe

Adapt it to suit the RunOnce method, and the "-s" switch for the setup.

Hoping this helps...

The problem you will most likely have is that it will attempt to install these drivers even on a computer that doesn't have/use their drivers only to get errors either during the installation or after the initial logon.

Did you say this because of my attempt to install the audio utility during runonceex or because I left all the inf files in their folders and added each path in my winnt.sif ?

This was inre to putting in the NRM and Audio utility, as these will only install if you have an Nvidia based card, in the instance of the NRM you must have an NForce3 motherboard for these to work at all.

Since I already added all those paths to my winnt.sif it is no extra burden to do so and I gathered from recent threads on this subject that this is the preferred method.

Would putting every file from the subdirectories into one folder change anything except making the line in winnt.sif more "readable" ?

As well as shorten it, especially useful if your using multiple driver packs from the top of the thread list.

Mhh, I´d rather not do this through shortcuts because this shortcut would also appear on INTEL systems for instance and it would then be up to the user to install this which I would like to avoid ( my future user base probably does not know about the internals of their PC´s )

I have read in recent threads that one can test for certain hardware by running a script or by testing for the existance of special files. However I only found references to ATI video cards not NVIDIA chipset boards ...

I know that my runonceex should read something like:

if exists ......... then REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\drivers\NVIDIA\AudioUtl\Setup.exe -s" /f

but I am not sure what to "test" for that would always be present on an NVIDIA board with activated onboard NVIDIA audio.

Thanks for your help !

Alex

The part about the call to determine the type of card is something that I am unsure of, but from what I gather, you can go into the O/S once you have installed everything, prior to the user getting the computer and either deleting the shortcut or installing it then removing it and resealing the computer.

One could do a test for all the others in the script with the final outlook being that one has an Nvidia based motherboard and thus installing the Nvidia boards drivers if all the other checks fail. Though the NRM wont install on other than NForce3 boards, which if your not distributing prior boards, (NForce, Nforce2,) with your systems then you wont have that problem.

By putting all the drivers into the base Nvidia folder not only cuts down on space, but also keeps everything into one link from the WinNT.sif file as well. I use that exclusively to install my drivers as I don't use the RunOnceEx.cmd to install them, since Windows XP will install the PNP drivers from that exclusively and does it's own checks. Also if your using multiple driver packs from one of the threads above, then you will run out of space if you keep doing it the way that is mentioned in the installation files in the packs. This keeps my OemPnPDriversPath= to as much of a minimum as possible.

I should also mention too, that when I install my PNP Drivers as well as my txtmode drivers, I do so from i386\$OEM$ folder not from the external $OEM$ folder. Doing this Windows XP will delete all these files when it is done with the installation and I don't have to put in a cleanup.cmd file to remove them.

One more thing to keep in mind if your installing Via drivers, you should split them between AMD and Intel in subfolders as their drivers are different. The Nvidia's aren't all that much different, with the exception of the 64 and 32-bit versions, in that case you can seperate them, (if different,) by subfolders in the Nvidia folder, and only adding the files which are different between the 32 and 64-bit version in the 64 bit folder thus cutting down even more space, as the 32-bit files contain a lot of the same drivers that are used in the 64-bit version.

Glad to be of assistance, if anyone else has a way to do this other than what I mentioned please post your results, as I for one would be interested in them as well.

Hi guys,

thanks for your replies !

@DisabledTrucker:

One more thing to keep in mind if your installing Via drivers, you should split them between AMD and Intel in subfolders as their drivers are different.

That I did not understand yet, sorry. I decided to keep my folder structure the way I mentioned in my first post because I do not yet use any driver packs. So if I keep the folder structure as it is, will there be any problem ? I would not know how to split the VIA drivers between Intel and AMD systems but I thought that whatever system I am running it on, Windows will simply take the drivers it needs from the OEMPnPDrivers path ...

@ prathapml:

THanks for chiming in ! :D

2 questions:

1. I have adapted your code like this:

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\nvaudio.nvu REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\drivers\Nvidia\AudioUtl\Setup.exe -s" /f

However, I am wondering if those PnP drivers from the OEMPnPDriversPath are installed at this stage in time (T12) already ? Since I am testing for the existance of this file I need to be sure that those drivers get installed before T12 ....

2. As for the iss file .... it seems like you own an NVIDIA board with NVIDIA audio .. could you maybe post your working iss file for the AudioUtl or test the one that is inside the folder already ?

I would love to test if it reboots myself but I can´t. I don´t have any NVIDIA board available for testing so I am kind of dependant on what you (or someone else) finds out ...

Thanks a lot ! :hello:

Bye,

Alex

"%systemroot%\system32\nvaudio.nvu" will exist right from T-39, you won't have any issues with it being present around T-12. But I install it after a re-boot (GUIrunOnce), and it installs fine. I doubt the nVidia Sound utility will install fine at T-12.

But I install it after a re-boot (GUIrunOnce), and it installs fine. I doubt the nVidia Sound utility will install fine at T-12.

Hey prathapml!

I am not installing it during T12 phase either ! At time it gets inserted into the registry but it actually runs later on after reboot ( maybe you should read up on the runonceex method :P )

:D

How ´bout the iss file ? Sorry to be a pain but I simply cannot test this myself ... :no:

Thanks,

Alex

OK, here's the resulting setup.iss for a silent install of the nVidia NVmixer (aud-Util) that is contained in the nForce 5.10 drivers download:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v6.00.000
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[{D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-DlgOrder]
Dlg0={D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-SdWelcome-0
Count=2
Dlg1={D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-SdFinishReboot-0
[{D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-SdWelcome-0]
Result=1
[Application]
Name=NvMixer
Version=1.50.000
Company=NVIDIA Corporation
Lang=0009
[{D7A6C517-11F2-419F-B5BB-27772B939698}-SdFinishReboot-0]
Result=1
BootOption=0

One more thing to keep in mind if your installing Via drivers, you should split them between AMD and Intel in subfolders as their drivers are different.

That I did not understand yet, sorry. I decided to keep my folder structure the way I mentioned in my first post because I do not yet use any driver packs. So if I keep the folder structure as it is, will there be any problem ? I would not know how to split the VIA drivers between Intel and AMD systems but I thought that whatever system I am running it on, Windows will simply take the drivers it needs from the OEMPnPDrivers path ...

IF you make your folder structure such as:

$OEM$\$1\Drivers\

~~~Nvidia\32

~~~Nvidia\64

~~~Via\AMD

~~~Via\Intel

Then you can seperate them as I was talking about earlier. One thing I noticed you had in your WinNT.sif file earlier was a link on the OemPnpDriversPath to "Drivers\Nvidia" and "Drivers\Via" Since your linking to the .inf files you shouldn't need to link to those folders directly. If your going to do it with a RunOnceEx file, I'm not so sure you will need all the others since your using an installer. (Others="Drivers\Nvidia\Audio" for example.) It comes down to wheither or not your installing from within WinNT.sif or not I believe. Someone else may have to correct me on this, but that's what I believe it says in M$'s instructions.

Open up your nvmcp.inf file and add these lines somewhere in the [nvnforce.AddReg] section.

HKLM,%RunOnceEx%\001",,,"nVidia Audio Mixer"

HKLM,%RunOnceEx%\001","1",0x00020000,"%SystemRoot%\drivers\nVidia\AudioUtl\setup.exe -s" /f

That will allow the audio mixer to be installed, if and only if that inf file is processed by Windows for driver installation.

Hi Mr Cobra !

wow .. :w00t: this means that I won´t have to install the audio control panel seperately anymore ???

This is sooo cool ! I wonder why NVIDIA did not add this by default :wacko:

Thanks for this great tip !!

One more small question if I may .... what is this NAM subfolder inside the ethernet folder ? It contains just one setup.exe without any iss file ...

Thanks,

Alex

Open up your nvmcp.inf file and add these lines somewhere in the [nvnforce.AddReg] section.

HKLM,%RunOnceEx%\001",,,"nVidia Audio Mixer"

HKLM,%RunOnceEx%\001","1",0x00020000,"%SystemRoot%\drivers\nVidia\AudioUtl\setup.exe -s" /f

That will allow the audio mixer to be installed, if and only if that inf file is processed by Windows for driver installation.

Thanks, gonna try this - great news!

But just a small note - since this will render the driver sign invalid, you need to have the "Ignore Driver Signing" in winnt.sif.