Need advise with fresh install of XP

Drewdatrip

drew.. its easier than any OS you have done before bud.. just go for it.. do you know a mate with a Cdburner? if so pinch his drive and put it in your machine.. burn the iso.. then put it in drive and reboot pc.. then press a key when told to to boot from cd and follow instructions.. select a partition and format it to ntfs with teh disc its all on the menu, if you have installed win2k from disc its just like that! easy :) stop panicing and try it.. just back up your s*** first!!

Ok Guys i got a burner and burnt the ISO file!!! i made my Cdrom boot first, but when i restarted is said "Booting from cdrom....Failure" is there somthing else i need to do, chage a files on the iso to make it bootable? anything?

-drew

You will find the correct way to burn the iso here for all software.

ht*p://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/instruction_CD_burning.htm

Also when your in windows 98 (or what ever windows your using)just put the disk in your cd-rom....It should start up and click install Win XP. FOLLOW ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN POSTED FROM THERE ON.

-Chris

[b:f354c2a84b]Im confusing the issue....You have got to be kidding...Weve done everything for him, just put the cd in and if it gives you the splash screen with the choice to install XP then do it, If it doesnt then the correct instructions on how to burn a iso can be found above.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh[/b:f354c2a84b] [img:f354c2a84b]http://www.globalmafia.f2s.com/Copy_of_beatingheadoncomputer.gif[/img:f354c2a84b] :bash :bash :bash :bash :bash :bash :bash

Thank you guys for helping me with the setup! unfortunitly i have run into a problem that i ran into while trying to install win2000, i thought is was just a mess up, but now i realize my onboard harddrive controller is not compatiable with win2000 or winXp, it is a Highpoint tech Ultra DMA 66, and when the computer restarts to install Xp, I get an error"" a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Check for viruses. remove any newly installed harddrives or harddrive controllers, chech hard drive to make sure its properly configured and terminated.Run CHKDSK/F to check for drive corruption, and then restart your computer" like i said i got this when installing win200, and considering the XP is based on the 2000 kernal, i understand why it wont work!:mad: i did press F6 and try to install 3rd party drives, it detects it on the disk, but after it loads them it freezes up:cry , do any of you know how i might be able to fix this with out buying a new MOBO?

-drew

How about running your hard drive right off of your Motherboard during installation...Then after youve got XP up and running stick you controller in and let XP detect it and install the drivers for it. Once youve done that shut down the computer and reconnect it through your controller. Check the contollers website for any updates on it compatabilty with XP, Also is it a plug and play controller?

-Chris

Well first off my hard drive controller is on my MoBo, i thought of deactivating it while installing, but i dont think it can be. i have two Ultra DMA ports that are controlled by the highpoint controller, and 2 regular ide ports.

I dont understand why the installatin freezes up when i try to use the drivers on the disk?!

If i cant get this to work, can i some how erase the setup, so when i start up, i dont have choose between the Xp setup and win98?

thankx

-Drew:erm:

When i installed winXp i wanted to install it under my C: drive, so i was advised to install the setup files on a drive other then the c, so under the Advanced tab i changed the botom option from "windows" to D:temp. i then checked off the to boxes and went about the install, when it gave me the option to pick the drive i wanted to install the os on i picked the C: drive, but it said it had install files on it and could not delete them. I tryrd this many times, and in every situaztion this happened. so i just installed it to the E: drive insted. but not for some reason because i typed to install the files to D:temp, my Windows is now under the e drive but under the folder "TEMP". I did everything All you guys told me but it just wont work out!

-drew