Remove Useless Drive

Endurance

Ok, this is what happened:

I have an ISO file I wanted to act as a CD, so I got this thing . What it does is allow you to create a driver, then create a drive, then run a file off of it. Well, I didn't know that you have to remove the drive before the driver or else you get stuck with an empty drive in My Computer. In other words, in "My Computer" under "Devices with Removable Storage" I have a "CD Drive (Y:)." The thing is, that tool only creates drives that are not already in use so since Y is in "Use" (already made) I cannot recreate it and delete it. Therefore, I am stuck with a useless "Y" drive. Does anyone know how I can remove this? Thanks.

Try going here with regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints\

and delete the "Y" key and sub keys.

I use this freeware tool:

http://www.elby.ch/en/fun/software/index.html

and, if needed, this accessory:

http://www.dkweb.ch/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=157

jaclaz

Ok it's not in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints\ BUT it is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\. Should I remove it there?

Yes, I think so, actually the key I posted is on W2k system, so maybe XP has got the 2 added at the end.

However before trying to delete it, you SHOULD BACKUP your System, with a tool like ERUNT:

http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

From what I gathered, the Mountpoints key works like this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints\

registry key there is a value for EACH drive letter A to Z

(actually it seems that apart from A and B, the other letters are created the first time you mount a disk, but are not deleted when you unmount it).

Under each letter there is a value _UB:

_UB=hex:02,00,00,00 means FLOPPY (so that A and B have got this value)

_UB=hex:05,00,00,00 means CDROM, either "real" or "virtual" i.e. VirtualCloneDrive has this value

All other letters, whether mounted (mapped) or not have a LONG hex value, which is the value assigned last time it was mounted.

Then there is a value

BaseClass=Drive

that is the same in all letters.

Then there is a value

Version=dword:00000000

the 00000000 changes from letter to letter, I have to find why.

A mounted (mapped) drive letter has subkeys, first of which is _Autorun whilst non-mapped ones have NO subkeys.

If you map a network drive from Explorer, Subkeys are automatically addded and they are removed when you disconnect drive, but the letter, the _UB, Baseclass and Version values remain the same of last mapped drive.

Same thing applies with virtual disks such as VDK.EXE ones, and if you use the "net use" command.

You can safely delete with regedit non mounted letters (I did it with letters to which I had mapped network and virtual drives, but did not dare to do it on B or on any mounted device)

jaclaz