Need power supply for HP MCE

browningh

The stock ps for this system m260n, is less than 200W. I need more power. Problem is the physical size of the unit. There is only space for a PS to stick into the case 4"! There is no room to move the optical drives, as there are no more bays.

Any suggestions? Sure would like to get something in the 300W+ range, at least.

Similar queries on other boards resulted in a lot of views but no responses. I have a lot of trouble getting thru HP's web site. Last time I did get to the right area, they only referenced an exact replacement for the stock PS in their hardware area.

'Preciate any assist........

Since I can never find an appropriately sized ps, maybe I could just get a standard sized one and leave it hanging part-way out rear of the case, hmmmm?

Just a thought, any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Of course I have modified my HP case and removed the hidden covers for my opticle drives, and pushed them forwards but I am able to house a PC Power and Cooling 510 ATC power supply in there, though it is a tight fit. The only thing left of this unit is just a case as everything else which was in it has been replaced down to the power cables. You may want to check with PC P&C to see what they have, they may actually have a 300W unit which will work for your needs. The only reason I am using the PC P&C in here is because I originally replaced an Antec 550 turbo cool with it when it failed due to over power strains, then I redid the system I had it in after I had sent it back for replacement, and when the power supply in the HP box I am using gave its ghost up, I attempted to use the Antech in it, but it wouldn't fit, the PC P&C being the 1/2 inch smaller was all which was needed for the fit, so I put the Antech back into the original case it was in and put the PC P&C in this one. Like I said though I had to push the opticle drives forward and resecure them but I had to remove the stupid plastic doors which one broke anyways when the drive opened one day so removing the other one just seemed like a good idea anyways. Now I have a HDD cooler in my top slot and a DVD+/-RW drive in the lower one, so they're no chance of it over heating in there. It stays a constant 37 degress celcius so I would say it does just fine in there like it is. Yes I have two hard drives in that case as well, they have been doing just fine in there for about 6 months now. Then again I would think being WD JB HDD's they would do fine. It says it's keeping the top HDD at a constant 45 degrees celcius so I don't think it's hurting anything that way. My AMD 1700+ in there stays a constant 35 degrees celcius with only the green fan on it without any over clocking and its not produced any problems for over a year and a half. Of course I still have the 120mm fan in the rear of the case and an additional 60cm fan I attached to the front of the case circulating air in it as well. Though I did ditch the stupid plastic cover over the 120cm in the back. One day I hope to replace the case with an A-Top X-Blade, but until then this ones doing just fine.