Installing WinXP Pro. problem.

jacmatsu

I have another problem, I reboot from CD-ROM.

when WinXP Pro setup, my drive cannot install.

It output this message:

To install WinXP on the partition you selected, setup must write some startup files to the following disks:

43967 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi[MBR]

However, this disk does not contain a windows XP-compatible partition.

How can I do?

Thanks.

*Edited for content* do I need to change master (plug in the back of harddrive) for installing winXP.

Thanks.

You only need to change the Master/Slave/Cable Select setting if you have more than one hdd on the same IDE controller. For example, if you have a hdd on IDE 1 and a CD and a DVD on IDE 2, then you don't need it. IF you have two hdd's on IDE 1 and a CD and a DVD on IDE 2, then you would need to make sure that one of the hdd's are set to master and one to slave or both to cable select, if your not sure what your doing. Usually you'd want the drive you have your copy of the O/S on, on drive 1 and the other your using either for a secondary O/S or data backups/etc on drive 2 and Drive 1 would be the master and Drive 2 would be it's slave.

Most times, when I have a problem with both drives being set to Master only one drive will work and the other on the slave portion of the cable wont even be recognized, though this may not be the same with all motherboards. To find out if they are being seen correctly or not, look in your bios, (hit either F1 or Del more than likely to access it,) and look there if you see both your hdd's in the initial screen, if not then you have something wrong.

*EDIT*

BTW, if you do have a CD and a DVD on the secondary IDE, then one of them should be set to Master and the other to Slave as well, it's your choice which is which. I would suggest though that you put the one that your writing to on the Master and the one which is a player only on the secondary. If you have a DVD+/-RW and a CD-RW, put the DVD+/-RW on the master and the CD-RW on the slave, even if the CD-RW is faster, you can always use it to install with on either position without any recognizable differences.

Edited by DisabledTrucker

Thanks.

Right now, I know that the external driver cannot be installed WinXP Pro.

Because I always try to install WinXP Pro. in the external driver.

That 's why I cannot sucessfully install it.

Let me get this straight, you want to install Windows XP Pro on a firewire/usb type of HDD? I am not all to sure you can do that.