Windows will not start

bboyfsaa

For some reason, my new computer suddenly does not work.

I turned it on, and the "the computer was turned on incorrecty" message showed up, where i chose Start Normally.

Then the Loading screen came, and thats when the problem occurs. The computer simply reboots. And that happens all the time, even if I try safe mode or anything else.

I have no clue what to do, and I have very important files on that computer, plus it's new.

So help would be very much appreciated.

Btw. im using a HP Media Center m1070n which (as u can see on its name) runs on the Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Thanks and please help :}

-Armen A.

well it is very simple u get a axe and start chopping away. ;) just kidding.

pls specify make and model of your computer. operating system, manufacturer and components.

you mentioned you have a new computer. is it a dell, gateway, compaq? you should have a 1-800 or 888 no. to call for technical support. faster than posting on this forum.

good luck.

he has already tried your first two options.

that is why i said to get an axe. that is what i want 2 do sometimes

when i have a new computer that won't boot.

if he tries to reinstall or repair he might lose his data. that happens sometimes.

I forgot to ask how many hard drives do you have?

nothing will work, wether it's safe mode, Last Known Good configurtaion or anything else. If I run the winxp cd i only have the option to format my hard drive, i can't repair it. Plus when i chose to format it, it gets stuck on 0%, is that normal? im still waiting for it to progress, and its been running for about 40 mins

right now i dont care if i got important files or not.. i just want the computer to work.

Specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00213821

thats everything

please help!

thank you

ok dude, relax everything will be ok.

first is not normal if it has been 40 mins.

second, are u booting from the xp cd given to you by hp?

third are u booting from the cd during reboot or when u are in windows.

forth pls answer if you have more than one hard drive attached.

According to his specs he only has one HDD it's installed with the operating system as a partition on the HDD. IF he obtains the replacement CD's from HP, (usually $20 for the set of 7/8,) then he will be able to reformat his hdd and start over, but it would be best if he had a backup of his files to another hdd first that he wants to save, which he would have to have an O/S on to access those files. Besides all that, since he's not worried about losing what's on the hdd, then he can just download the utility from the manufacturer of his hdd, which can be found on the top of the hdd or from asking HP, then obtaining their utility, (SUTIL or similar,) to format the drive with before he uses the crappy install disks from HP, then he should be able to get rid of the virus that is causing his issue, if not then he will need a new hdd.

*EDIT*

My Q would be, do you have the disks from HP? Or are you attempting to use some other copy of MCE? You have to have the disks from HP so as to have the drivers that are needed to access the sata drive that is being used with that setup. Doing it from any other version of MCE would require those drivers to be able to access the HDD. IF it's gone beyond the 40 min with the processor you have in there, then you have waited too long, there is either something wrong with the cheap, (more than likely samsung,) hard drive that is included with most HP's these days, or the even cheaper HP DVD burner that's included with them, which I reccomend upgrading both to more reliable equipment as a first result, second result would be to take Astalavista's suggestion and take an axe to it and get a "real" computer!

I should mention I have had three of HP's computers, two of them had HP home on them the third is an MCE, 873n, (one of the originals,) and none of them are worth the money spent on them, the MCE was a prize and haven't spent anything on it...but it's still not worth the metal used to produce it.

Edited by DisabledTrucker

no i dont have the discs from HP, and yes i was attempting to format my hard drive using a copy of mce.

disabledtrucker: does this mean that if i get those disc from hp, everything will be fine? after all ive done.. attempting to format and stuph.

astalavista: how can i boot from cd when im in windows when i cant enter windows..

plus ive been so worried and stuph, that i screwed up my computer even more. now it says ntldr is missing :(

help me out here.

thanks

call hp and tell them you have a lemon.

tell them to send u a new one next day air.

that is what i did with my dell 2 years ago. next day i got my new laptop.

well that is WHY you should always have a second hard drive. Where u store

all your data and files and what not.

time for you to learn how to create a Unattended Windows XP cd. So

if your computer gets F#U@K! you just throw in the DVD and 1 hour later

all your applications are installed for you. Without lifting a finger. Except

for a smoke and a beer. root beer i mean. :whistle:

In his situation, his best recourse would be to go and get the disks from HP first, also grab the files from his HDD manufacturer and reformat that drive, once he does that and uses the CD set from HP, he will regain control of his HDD.

Personally, if you haven't had it for over 30 days, I'd return it to where I got it and get one from either Cyberpower or another online source, that includes a regular cd set from M$ with the O/S on it. If you have a way to put it in another computer first, I would take the HDD out and format it still with it's utility, at least run it 10 times to make sure everything is removed from it and everything is totally zero'd out before I sent it back to them. Especially if you have done any banking or have any other information on your hdd that you don't want someone else knowing.

*EDIT*

Just having the CD set from HP wont make you, "Just fine" but it should make the installation go smoother, because you will need the drivers from it to install your O/S back onto it. They are only about $20 U.S. for the set to have them ship them to you, $10 of that is for shipping 3 day via UPS. It's $5 to ship via U.S. Mail that takes about 2-3 weeks to get them to you. Once you reformat the HDD and use that set it should go really smoothly, also make sure you tell them you want the ones for 2004 edition with SP2 integrated, as they should provide you with those, since they are the newest updates for the computer. Just follow the brief directions that appear on the screen once you boot the computer with the first CD in the drive.

Edited by DisabledTrucker

k thanks..

btw. when i bought my comp. at best buy, i got some kinda service plan with me ($250). I can replace stuff with it, like the screen, and they said that they would come to my house and repair it. But i dunno if this also covers problems with the hdd and stuff. You got any clue?

k thanks..

btw. when i bought my comp. at best buy, i got some kinda service plan with me ($250). I can replace stuff with it, like the screen, and they said that they would come to my house and repair it. But i dunno if this also covers problems with the hdd and stuff. You got any clue?

Yea, when did you get the computer at Best Buy? If you haven't had it for 30 days, then they have to take it back, take it back to them and tell them thanks but no thanks? Then go online and get one from Cyberpower or one of the other reputable dealers online. Monarch is another I would reccomend, as is Shuttle and Alienware, which you can also purchase through Best Buy. (The Alienware is purchaseable through Best Buy in store at thier computer store.) OF course there are others for those with bigger pockets, such as Falcon North West, Velocity Micro, Vicious PC, and Voodoo. Stay away from Dell, unless you get the XPS, and also stay away from Gateway and most definately the HP/Compaq branding. They are nothing compared to what they used to be back in the day.

You get what you pay for, $ 4 $, the Monarch and Cyberpower are going to be your best bets. Money being no object, Falcon NW, Voodoo, or Velocity Micro would be my choices, if not able to build it yourself, which would be by far my first choice. Then you get not only what you need/want/can afford, but you get the satisfaction of not only doing it yourself, but also the pride of doing it yourself, while learning at the same time. From someone who has built their own PC's since 1985, I am always learning each time I build a new PC.

As far as the service plan goes, it should cover everything with your computer and yes, it should replace your hdd, still I would take and download the format utility from the manufacturer and run it prior to having them mess with it. This way they don't get any information you don't want them knowing off it. Such as passwords, pictures, log-ins etc.

here is my 2 cents ok

1. I agree that u should return the computer to best buy if you still can.

2. I also agree that XPS series is the way to go if your buying a dell.

I assume the reason you went for an HP is bec. your NEW or have little experience buying a computer. Otherwise you would know to avoid buying an HP or compaq. But through mistakes we "learn" in the future to make better choices, not perfect, better choices.

3. Here are to sites that publish electronic coupons for dell.

http://www.slickdeals.net

http://www.techbargains.com

check them out... every week there is a deal or coupon for dell.

the nice thing with dell if u break it, they pay for it within the warranty period. my laptop was drop on the floor by your Russian house maid.

I called dell, they said no problem we will send u a new one tomorrow.

just send back the old one. SWEET. the warranty was going to run out in 2 more weeks. heheheh

*Edited for content*  the nice thing with dell if u break it, they pay for it within the warranty period. *edited*

Most reputible computer manufacturers have a warranty that will allow for replacement of their computers, some are just longer than others. Dell is not the only one with this kind of replacement policy, some you have to pay extra for this others comes with it. Just look when making a choice, if that is important to you. For that matter an Apple has the same type of warranty for example.

The difference between Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, Alienware, and most of the others I metioned is that the ones I just directly mentioned are propietary systems and usually don't come with the O/S on a disk such as you can purchase from New Egg for example, they have a different set up they use where you will need several disks to reinstall their systems, as their computers come with the O/S in a partition on the hard drive, not the best way at all to obtain a copy it.

The rest give you the OEM/Full disk from M$ like the disks that you can purchase from New Egg. Some of them even include the actual full version (colored non-oem boxed version,) of the software, dependant on the company purchased from and how purchased. Some over the phone orders from companies will get you the actual full versions instead of the OEM versions if you speak with an actual person when ordering from some of the companies I mentioned.

Keep in mind when your looking at the computers, if it actually includes the M$ OEM/Full version disks or not when purchasing, something neither HP/Compaq nor Alienware include with their systems. The best advice I can suggest is to find a company that has a great reseller rating and go from there.

Just because a company, (M$, HP/Compaq, Dell, etc,) have the larger base of customers doesn't make them better companies to go with. In HP's case, they have been around almost since the begginning of personal computers, that doesn't in any way make them better, same for the rest. What you really want to look for are complaints about tech support, and return policies, as well as customer support of their products. From what I have gathered from the past few months of research, the best ones to buy from are Cyberpower, Monarch, and the more expensive ones. The more expensive ones are more geared for the enthusiast market, which I assume your not a part of, at least not yet, and would have no use for these more extravagant solutions, unless you have the money to just blow on them for prosterity reasons.

In extravagant I am referring to custom cooling solutions, custom cases with or without extreme paint jobs some of which rival those on a Rolls Royce, also they do custom installations as well. Most any custom computer manufacturer will do these customizations if you call them for fee's, but the ones I mentioned such as Voodoo and Falcon NW do them on a more frequent basis, which is why you'd pay more for them. Mostly people who want and can afford the best, who want someone else to build their system, and also want not only the prestige of ownership, but also the most top of the line computing solution for gaming/customizations go for one of these more extravagant solutions. I probably went over your head here, but that is what I am meaning by extravagant.

Going beyond all this, $ 4 $, you will do just as good getting a Cyberpower or Monarch system as you would getting a system from Falcon NW, without all the fancy and expensive customizations and it will come with the software on an OEM cd just as if you went to New Egg to purchase it. And I believe you will be happier in the long run.