Boot up error after installing SP2

Epsilon

After i installed SP2 i get the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

System32\drivers\Ntfs.sys

What i tried to do is go and reformat and start from scratch again, but unfortunantly now that this file is missing my computer wont detect my hard drives as connected. ive tried re connecting them and booting up with a cd but that hasnt worked either, i could only assume that its not registering or doesnt have my RAID drivers installed and thats why its not recognizing the hard drives. Any one have any insite ?

hi epsilon,

you will need to have your raid drivers on a disk. press F9 or F6 i can't remember to install them first.

pls post your motherboard, hardware so we can better assist u.

good luck.

p.s. did u slipstream your sp2 with your WindowsXP cd?

if u don't know what i just said go here and u will understand.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

hehe we have the same motherboard I hv the p4c800 E-deluxe.

your board will automatically recognize your SATA drives and raid. trust me it will. I never have to put any drivers for my sata or raid.

if you have Windows xp with service pack2 slipstreamed no need for the raid drivers. those are already included.

don't know how to slipstream go here

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

hehe we have the same motherboard I hv the p4c800 E-deluxe.

your board will automatically recognize your SATA drives and raid. trust me it will. I never have to put any drivers for my sata or raid.

if you have Windows xp with service pack2 slipstreamed no need for the raid drivers. those are already included.

Now that is a cheerfull information 'cause I've got the same motherboard

After i installed SP2 i get the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

System32\drivers\Ntfs.sys

What i tried to do is go and reformat and start from scratch again, but unfortunantly now that this file is missing my computer wont detect my hard drives as connected.  ive tried re connecting them and booting up with a cd but that hasnt worked either, i could only assume that its not registering or doesnt have my RAID drivers installed and thats why its not recognizing the hard drives.  Any one have any insite ?

It sounds to me like you have one of two problems,

1. Your hard drives are failing and need replaced.

2. You have corrupted the hard drives and need to completely reformat them.

My solutions:

• Unplug all other drives first, except the one your needing to put the O/S on.
  • Go to whomever makes your hard drives and look for their utility that will allow for you to format their drives, most times it will also have a drive test utility built in, if not grab it as well.
  • Download it, copy it per their directions to floppy, then start with the drive you need to load XP on, and wipe it.
  • Once you have it wiped, try running it's test on the drive as well. If that works then continue the following steps otherwise go on down to final suggestion.

Now I am assuming it has passed the test, wipe it once more before reinstalling XP on it. Once you have booted into XP and are sure that everything is fine and stable, then try attaching one drive at a time until you either have:

A: found the one causing the problem,

B: can look at all the connected drives in Computer Management/Disk Manager.

Either way you should back up your important info from the other drives and shut off the computer, disconnect the hard drive with your O/S on it, and format those drives using their utilities, test them and reformat them again before using them any more. Make sure to reconnect your O/S hdd back before rebooting after these tests/formats and making sure the floppy isn't in the drive anymore. Do the O/S drive first, then reconnect the others back.

*Final Suggestion*

If none of these work then you obviously have a bad drive, contact your drive manufacturer if it's still in warranty and have them cross ship you a new one.

One final suggestion, check your mobo manufacturers website and make sure you have the updated bios for your mobo, if not download and install it via floppy as well, prior to doing any of the formatting/testing.

• 3 weeks later...

DisabledTrucker,

I am having the same problem. Here is what I fond so far but with no luck.

Here is info about it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;165002

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;822800

Mine booted to an evil blue screen with the rdr_file_system error. If you are able to boot normally then your all better. Otherwise, you should be able to boot into safe mode.

Good luck. Post back on your results. I guess this all helps after you get your hard drives recognized.

-Duder002