Slow Shutdown with SP2

Treeman

I guess I have the opposite problem of folks that have a slow boot-up of XP SP2. Mine boots normally, but on shut down you could hear my two Raptor HD's "park," and the computer would shut down immediatly. Now it goes past that point and takes an extra 10-15 seconds to shut down.

One of my friends said he thinks it's SP2 clearing cached data in memory after the drives stop spinning. Me, I'm not so sure.

There is no pronounced router activity, spyware, viruses, etc.

Maybe it's a bug! Any theories will be entertained.

Treeman

you need to import this into your registry. should speed up your shutdown to a fraction of the time

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"HungAppTimeout"="1000"

"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="10000"

"MenuShowDelay"="300"

[HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Control Panel/Desktop]

"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="10000"

"MenuShowDelay"="300"

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your tips!

The "Hive," fix didn't change anything & I've tried the registry tweak in the past. The only problem with forcing XP to timeout faster is that some programs and services don't get enough time to end properly.

Yes I do have SP2 installed, along with updated Nero, Nod32, and Audigy files needed to run in XP SP2. Still no luck!

I'll keep tinkering away to see what is slowing this critter down. I know it's not a critical problem, but you get used to something working a certain way, add a little patch from MS, and things get dorked.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Treeman

:lol: Well I found out the problem! XP SP2 nukes Firewire devices on your computer, thanks MS. Seems that the firewire drivers for both 1394a & 1394b get's dorked by SP2. An 800mbs. 1394b firewire transfer rate now runs at 100mbs.

The suggested fix is to replace SP2 firewire drivers with SP1 drivers. The effect this had on my computer was to make my external Maxtor firewire hard drive unusable. It messed up the bridgeing on the drive so it's unreadable but working properly according to disk management.

I have heard that firewire camcorders will no longer work under SP2 because of the system file changes as well.

I will get back to you in a new post when I get the definative hack to fix this problem. Oh yeah, when I disconnected the external drive, the system now shuts down normally.

1 step forward, 2 steps back!

Treeman