BUGS in Windows 2000/XP/2003

cancer10

Do members who are using these OS face a problem like, While surfing internet when u copy a text and try to paste it (By Right Clicking)somewhere u get the Paste menu disable?

I found this bug in Windows 2000/2000Pro/Server/Advance Server/XP/2003

well i think its the website that your browsing that has disabled the menu your talking about. javascripts can do that. i havent encountered such problems in windows 2003. if you want to copy the thing u wanted to copy, try saving the whole html page and then opening it in frontpage. then copy the text that you want.

Readiosys is Exactly Right!!!

The symptoms u have described are of Blaster / sasser Worm . It disables Cut/copy/paste of Anything..

Just patch ur System properly with the 823890 & 835732 hotfixes & it will be set ok

I also recommend u using Hijackthis --

Can u send a Log / Print Screen of the Task manager

Just check it is not Running "svohost.exe" -- carefully -- svchost is ok but svOhost is trojan

Readiosys is Exactly Right!!!

The symptoms u have described are of Blaster / sasser Worm . It disables Cut/copy/paste of Anything..

Just patch ur System  properly with the 823890 & 835732 hotfixes & it will be set ok

I also recommend u  using Hijackthis --

Can u send a Log / Print Screen of the Task manager

Just check it is not Running "svohost.exe" -- carefully -- svchost is ok but  svOhost is trojan

Hey u r exactly right. I may got that worm. A small request to you is can u plz tell me the links from where I can download 823890 & 835732 hotfixes ?

I currently do not have XP as I formatted my system as soon as I got those problems. And I also have noted that when my svohost.exe file crashes I got this copy/paste error.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanx

This mass-mailing worm drops copies of itself in the Windows system folder as SWCHOST.EXE and SVOHOST.EXE. It also drops a copy of itself in the Windows startup folder as SVCHOST.EXE.

It creates the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Run load32 = "%System%\swchost.exe"

(Note: %System% is the Windows system folder, which is usually C:\Windows\System on Windows 95, 98, and ME, C:\WINNT\System32 on Windows NT and 2000, or C:\Windows\System32 on Windows XP.)

It also attempts to register itself as a service process.

On Windows NT, 2000, and XP, it also adds the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\

CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Shell = "explorer.exe %System%\svohost.exe"

This mass-mailing worm drops copies of itself in the Windows system folder as SWCHOST.EXE and SVOHOST.EXE. It also drops a copy of itself in the Windows startup folder as SVCHOST.EXE.

It creates the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Run load32 = "%System%\swchost.exe"

(Note: %System% is the Windows system folder, which is usually C:\Windows\System on Windows 95, 98, and ME, C:\WINNT\System32 on Windows NT and 2000, or C:\Windows\System32 on Windows XP.)

It also attempts to register itself as a service process.

On Windows NT, 2000, and XP, it also adds the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\

CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Shell = "explorer.exe %System%\svohost.exe"

and how do I fix this?

You can try booting in safe mode, maybe it won't start those processes so you could delete the files and registry entries. Also, some programs might help getting rid of them (spyware scanners and good AV's would most likely remove that). You can also boot to win98se bootdisk (with ntfsdos pro if you're on ntfs) or winpe and delete the files and restart your PC... There's a few dozen ways around this problem.

start using XP SP2 --- just use XP setup with SP2 integrated (Slipstreamed) & u come to end of all these Exploitable Versions of Worms.

Else Cancer10 -- just search the MS site for the Filenames that i described to u in my earlier reply. Very prominent so u will find them easily