help: can't input Japanese under windows xp!

chee

1. system specifications:

windows xp pro with sp1 + office xp + east asian languge support

2.already done settings in "regional and language settings"

"language for none-unicode programs" is set to "chinese(prc)",cause i'm in china

japanse and corresponding keyboard has been added"

3. what i've tried to do in futile

"language for none-unicode programs" is set to "japanese",but doesn't work

4. symptoms

chose"japanse" in the "language bar",but cant' input japanse

could someone give me some suggestions?

thanks in advance

Have you selected JP in the language toolbar?

Once you have done that pres ALT + ~ to switch to hiragana input. When typing you can change to relevant kanji/katakana with space bar. Pressing enter stops this changing.

Make sure the application you want to enter Japanese characters in is the active window when you press ALT + ~.

You can directly select Hiragana/Katakana from the language tool bar, but I find ALT + ~ easier. Especially if you switch between Japanese and another language.

Oh and when I say press ALT + ~ I mean just push and hold ALT and then tap the ~ key.

The unicode setting is for applications/text files which need to display in Japanese. It won't affect input, just how non-unicode files applications display text. You've probably noticed that when viewing a non unicode Japanese file or app it's just all silly characters unless unicode is set to Japanese.

Hope that helps

Cheers

You mean you don't understand the menu?

This is what they do on my machine.

Direct Input

English characters

Hiragana

Let's you type in Hiragana.

Full - width Katakana

Let's you type in Katakana.

The half-width ones I don't use. I jsut use spacebar, or type xtu for little tsu etc. I think that's what this option is for.

I use Hiragana all the time as you can change it to katakana/kanji by pressing spacebar - it will bring up a little menu where you can select the appropriate kanji/kana. Use enter to stop it from changing.

Cheers

You mean you don't understand the menu--------

yes,i understand what those inscribed in that picture means,every of the items.

i mean:

that picture DID NOT show up no matter how many tims i click the relevant icons on the "language toolbar". i.e,

i was unable to use the dictionary just by ONE CLICK and ....

the only thing i've got is TO INPUT JAPANESE WITH NO MORE OPTIONS under the japanese input environment.

hope i've expressed my self clearly!

thanks again for your help!

Oops. Sorry I think I've gotten confused and I've confused this whole thread!

I used to have a problem where my language bar was shorter than normal and most of the options were gone. All it would have was a couple of icons and a KANA and CAPS or something buttons. The menu you showed wouldn't show up too.

Is that what is happening to you?

I used to have a problem where my language bar was shorter than normal and most of the options were gone.

All it would have was a couple of icons and a KANA and CAPS or something buttons. The menu you showed wouldn't show up too.

Is that what is happening to you?

--------------

yes! it's happenging to me now!

i'm trying to describe what i've only got in this picture

jpime.bmp

that's what's shown on the task bar under the japanese input environment.

before posting the thread on the forum i'd spent about 2 hours searching for tips and supports from www.microsoft.com and reading what i'd found,but got no breakthoughs.

sorry for taking so much of your time.

When you click in something you can type in ,eg notepad word etc, do the language bar icons change? The input method icon (Ithink it looks like an A) won't show unless you have an active window which you can type in.

I hope that came out understandable - it's hard to explain. If I was at home I could give you some screen shots.

Another thing is to drag the language bar on to the desktop so you can see it all. Although with the problem I used to have I'd just get the JP and Keyboard icons with the CAPS and KANA buttons. If it's working properly you should see the input method icon (looks like letter A).

Can you show an image of it once you drag the language bar on the desktop?

No worries. I don't mind helping at all. It's frustrating when the language bar doesn't work. We'll work it out I'm sure :)

If it's still not sorted by the time I get home (3 hours away) I'll do some screenshots etc to help.

Another thing is to drag the language bar on to the desktop so you can see it all. Although with the problem I used to have I'd just get the JP and Keyboard icons with the CAPS and KANA buttons. If it's working properly you should see the input method icon (looks like letter A).

---------------

hi, Tachikom sa'n,

i've got a long,complete Japanese input bar@

:)

thanks!

full_jp_input_bar.bmp