Replies to help close a topic

trainee

I apologize for the somewhat arcane title of this post, but I couldn't think of an adequate description that would fit. Seriously: only the super-anal should review the following question...

Sometimes I come across a thread that has gone dormant or has no-replies seemingly becuase there is a similar, active thread nearby. Later when the threads are farthur apart (post date disparity), the less active thread won't make any sense, or appear to be unanswered.

Here is an example from Unattended\Device Drivers: Problems installing drivers with F-6 Unattend CD. Which recieved no replies and 17views as of the writing of this post.

A few hours later the same user posted a new thread on the same topic: Why is no-one willing to touch this topic. Which inexplicably has recieved 11-replies and 223 views as of the same time.

Of course the title of the latter goes against MSFN etiquette, and this user really shouldn't be posting twice. But what should happen to the original thread? Should I post a reply that links to the newer topic? This would maintain continuity, but also have the undesired effect of *bumping* that thread to the top. Wow you must be anal like me if you are still reading this. Should I mail an admin to combine these 2 threads, or atleast delete one of them? Or should I just leave it be and any happless victim who happens to stumble on it is just SOL?

I realize that this is a very small pebble on the road of life, but my motto (ATM) is: no question isn't worth an answer! However that other saying is wrong, becuase there absolutely are stupid questions.

technically, the poster should NOT have posted the same thing again, if you want to get anal about it.

But if you go through the forum, you'll find MANY threads that are the SAME thing over and over again, simply because people don't search (like the poster you linked to, both the winnt.sif issue and the OEMPreInstall=YES workaround ahve been posted about in previous threads discussing the subject).

When I see such topics, if neither has been replied to, I either delete them, or I merge them. You'll find the latter solution to the afformentioned thread. If you wish, you can just send me a PM anytime you see this happen (with links preferably) and I'll get around to fixing it. :)