Need Mobo Opinions plz

MCT

aloha :P

im going 2 build a new pc once i have enough cash, im going from a amd1600 512Ram 80GB hdd to this

Pentium 4 3.0E GHz 1MB cache RETAIL BOX $302

ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON™ 9600XT 128MB DDR $285

**ABIT IS7 Intel 865PE, 800MHz FSB, Dual DDR400 $125

Western Digital 120GB w/ 8MB cache $115x2

KingMax 512MB PC-4000 DDR500 SDRAM $146x2

Diabolic Minotaur Gaming Tower (Blue/Green/Red) w/ 350W $138

BenQ P992 19" .25mm, Shadow Mask Flat Tube (Black) $209

the abit mobo i need 2 know if its good for what i have, im not a big hardware guy & maybe that mobo has a flaw i dont know about :P

Well, the northwood core (Pentium4) is old today - that was the core used before hyper-threading and prescotts made an appearance. The one MCT is going to get is based on a Prescott core - happy over-heating!!!!!! :P

Go for an i875PE-chipset based MoBo - Asus or MSI. The rest of the config seems fine. :thumbup

will the psu be good, or should i go 4 something a bit higher & if so, what :P

Well, now that you mention it....... :no:

350 watts is too under-powered for a modern system, especially with all those power-guzzling components that you already have. Add a DVD-writer, a high-end graphics card, a USB 2.0 scanner (which _could_ draw power from your PC, instead of a power socket), and you'd see what I mean. It wouldn't be sufficient power at all.

Today, 400 W is standard. And I think that is sufficient - if you have the $$$, get a higher rated PSU than 400W (maybe 550W ?). :P Just so you know, my current PSU (Codegen, 400W) cost $16 - so its pretty cheap actually. And another PSU brand you could consider is Antec (they demand a price-premium, though).

You MoBo listed above is actually pretty good, I just meant to say "go for a better MoBo, if its affordable" (instead of your currently listed i865-based MoBo, go for an i875). But yes, the Abit you already have listed isn't bad.

Hoping this helps......

Well, the northwood core (Pentium4) is old today - that was the core used before hyper-threading and prescotts made an appearance.

Not True..

NW-B has HT, but only the 3.06 ghz model

NW-C has HT, 800 bus and extreme overclockability.

Prescott offers nothing better for typical(non-overclocker) end-user over northwood.

I just meant to say "go for a better MoBo, if its affordable" (instead of your currently listed i865-based MoBo, go for an i875)

Both Asus an Abit have their 865 boards with "PAT-like" technologies which make them as fast or sometimes faster than 875 boards

Also, MCT, why pc4000 ram? Plan on overclocking?

Prescott offers nothing better for typical(non-overclocker) end-user over northwood.

Exactly! It overheats too!

But the northwood IS an older generation than prescott, and will be stopped soon - all new (consumer) P4s will be based on the prescott.

Both Asus an Abit have their 865 boards with "PAT-like" technologies which make them as fast or sometimes faster than 875 boards
You're right about that :) - but there's some more difference among the two - the details must be available on the respective MoBo maker's site.