Windows Update v5

agent_smudge

Hi there,

I've been away (in a cave :P) all this week and just got back to my computer.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, and I may have missed this, but has Windows Update v5 just gone live?

Probably just me running on satellite delay or something :D

Thinking bout it, probably was just me missing it as I'm assuming it coincided with the release of SP2 to Windows Update on 16th.

Smudge

If you want to take advantage of WUv5 without installing SP2 follow these steps.

1. Point your IE to windowsupdate.com

2. Wait until the connection is established with the server and you are redirected to:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/........

3. Just change that 4 with 5. You'll be redirected to WUv5. I order to use it you'll have to install an update blah blah (just a few kb)

4. That's it from now on whenever you go to WU you'll be redirected to the new v5

Cheers for that Gabriel, I have done that before when I was running a RC version in VMWare. I should probably have clarified further in my original post, I have done absolutely zero configuration changes since Monday and have not pointed at v5 or v4.windowsupdate. I simply clicked on Windows Update on the Tools menu and it automatically took me there.

Maybe there's some kinda fluke thing going on here, I was the first of my friends, family and work colleagues to get the 250Mb upgrade on Hotmail aswell.

Maybe Bill and Steve like me or something !? :P