Help understanding RunonceEx process

Ok, I'm trying to use gosh's tutorial here:

http://gosh.msfnhosting.com/using_runonceex.htm

to convert my disc from using batch files to using runonceex.

I'm not sure I understand all of the process, but here's the bit that confuses me most at the moment:

What will happen is at the end of text mode setup (the blue screen with the yellow bar), new.inf will be added to the registry.  RunOnceEx is only run at the 13 min mark by outlook express (msoe50.inf).  So at the 13 min mark of setup (xp or server 2003), runonceex.inf will be run.  When it's run, it'll add more registry keys to runonceex.  When setup is done and the first logon happens, runonceex will be run again, this is where the applications and such will be installed.  I prefer installing programs at logon rather than the 13 min mark to avoid problems.

As I understand it, this is running new.inf at the end of txt mode setup. and all new.inf is doing is adding registry entries which will cause setup to process runonceex.inf at the 13 min point, is that right?

new.inf

[newhive]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx",,0x00000012
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx",Title,0x00000000,"Applying custom settings"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx",Flags,0x00010001,0x00000020
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\Infs",,,"Applying Inf's"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\Infs",1,,"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection XP 128 ..\Windows\Inf\runonceex.inf"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\Infs",2,,"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 ..\Windows\Inf\Install.inf"

Then it seems like, based on the quote I posted above, this is supposed to use some parts of runonceex.inf at the 13 min mark, but other parts won't run until after logon? How does that work?

Thanks,

Gai-jin

• 2 weeks later...

@gai-jin........

You can use CDR file to eject the CD Drive you can get it from "http://www.unattended.msfn.org/xp/downloads.htm", and you can use this aslo to tell the user to insert the 2nd Cd

you can call them by this way:

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\install17",,,"17- Please Insert CD 2"

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\install17",1,,"%10%\Apps5\CDR.exe open ALL"

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\install17",2,,"%10%\Apps5\CD.exe"

i'll attach the CD.exe file for you, and in this way the Setup will pouse while the user didn't press OK.....

**If any one like to work with me I have make a Script that looking in the cd for a file if it did not find it will alarte the user that it is rong CD and he can retray, but it is still need more help from profisionals.....becouse i'm still a begenner.......I'll attach it in the next replay.......

cd.rar

new.inf should theoretically run about T-13 or just alittle sooner. I forget exactly when.

At which point, it imports the new keys from XP and DefaultInstall. If those are again RunOnceEX keys, then they will launch their install upon restart, where as if they were normal registry tweaks, they would be imported then.

As far as I can tell, browsing through the original INF on gosh's website, [13min] is never executed using XP or DefaultInstall in the INF call. Except for when in the other secionds there is an RunOnceEX call to the INF using Post

[strings] is executed whever the INF is used. It's just declaring variables like SET in a batch file.