Windows XP Media Center Editon Information

knight_dkn

Does anyone have any good information on Windows XP MCE, I'm looking from either some guides or notes on what files are need, the directory structure on the CD and what the difference is with the keys used. Please PM me if there is info that can't be listed in open forums.

The directory structure is the same for Windows XP Professional, since that's what it really is: a Professional install with MCE files installed (mediactr.cab). The Windows XP Professional Disc 2 (this disc is included with Tablet and Media Center, there is no difference between them) is what has the MCE files, this can be copied onto the same cd as the professional files (though you should delete unneeded files first otherwise the disk will be over 700megs). Windows XP Media Center is a variation of Professional, so the keys and PID will be different, although setup will not complain if you use a regular Professional key; the Media Center shell will not be installed if you do this. The keys have different numbers encrypted in them, setup installs files when it finds these numbers and will not if it does not find them from the decrypted key. MCE can only be legally obtained by a MSDN subscription (wich you cannot really keep, this is for testing only) or by buying a new computer that has MCE pre-installed. There are no notes on what files you need it's simple: Disc 1 and Disc 2 of MCE (or MCE 2004), and setup is the same as any other version of Windows except for the Media Center shell which needs to be configured when it's first run.

I can order 5 Eval kits for XP MCE for $60 bucks each. Later this year, MS will distribute XP MCE to System Builders through normal distribution channels...

However, it won't be easy... XP MCE will not Activate without a proper SLP from MS.

To submit SLP files to Microsoft, OEMs must provide the following information to SLPSIGNH@microsoft.com.

Important Your company must be set up on WHQL to submit files electronically for signing. A Verisign signature is also required. For more information, see the WHQL User’s Guide (http://whql.microsoft.com/usersguide.asp).

Before the signup form can be processed, the following requirements must be met:

1. Your company must have a completed Windows XP Media Center license agreement filed with Microsoft Licensing, Inc (MSLI).

2. The primary contact must be employed by the OEM company.

3. Your Microsoft Account Manager must approve your application. Please copy your Microsoft Account Manager when you e-mail the completed SLP Signup form to SLPSIGNH@microsoft.com.

Lots of hoops to jump through...

Yea, I know it totally sux, I was so hoping when the announced MCE a while back when it was still in beta stage, that they would release it as an option to Win XP Pro, for those who actually had tuners in their systems, but unfortunately M$ screwed us on that one making it only available if your an OEM, or a system builder, now. Having had to put up with ATI's crappy software to do what is possible through the MCE has been a migrane to say the least. Now that they even have the drivers to make it possible to use the MCE with ATI's products, they should release it so that a consumer can build their own system and still obtain a copy of this version of XP to install on it. (Even though it actually worked before on my computer with the ATI card installed w/o specialized drivers. I have a HP MCE from when they were first released, it was a prize from M$ for entering their contest about the new MCE's. I just pulled the HDD from it and put it in my system, booted and it worked, no mods were neccessary.)