Help: Customizing XP SP2 install

leftydog1961

Is there a way to customize the install of sp2 so that:

Windows Firewall is disabled by default

Browser Add-ons are disabled by default

Pop up Stopper is disabled by default

Movie Maker update is not applied

Windows Media Player enhancements are not installed

I would rather customize the install media than doing post sp2 fixes since I have to deploy to 50 users....but I still want to keep the bug fixes..

I have not seen any docs on customizing the update files, except for the firewall inf file, but since I don't have a certificate to sign it that won't fly

Any help appreciated greatly!!

The winnt.sif file is great if you are starting from scratch and building a custom winxp for deployment, however it will not help us running the sp2 on workstations that are already built. How can we modify the files on SP2 to customize what gets activate, installed, etc. Thanx!

Setup a CD with a batch file (or .cmd, or whatever) to run automatically via autorun.inf which installs SP2 then imports the proper registry settings to disable those features of SP2 that you don't want. The registry settings are all over this site.

If some of the settings are per-user, then you'll have to do something marginally more involved. You can use "reg" to load registry hives. So, for every user, load their hive (default location is C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\ntuser.dat) to, say, HKEY_USERS\Temporary Hive then import registry files to that key.

All this is pretty trivial to automate.