dvi support for monitors?

XtremeMaC

hi there

I'm planning on getting an lcd

and i'm going back and forth with these 2 displays from samsung

193t and 192n

only difference they have is 193t has a dual interface (which means digital input)

now does the latest graphics card have both analog and dvi?

is the technology going to change to dvi completely?

there is $70 difference in price. (but with the tax the price goes above!) (yes I know the difference is the same with or without the tax)

if I go with the analog one will I be able to use it in 2 years or more?

Thanks

My personal choice would be to go with the DVI model. Many manufacturers are now shipping dual DVI euiped graphics cards, scrapping the analogue connector. Whilst DVI to VGA adapters are around, they will loose you the advantages of DVI.

The DVI interface must be accepted as progress, and analogue should be phased out. DVI is hardly new either, having been phased in for more than 2 years.

Atm many card makers are offering the choice of dual DVI or DVI and D-SUB. My card has both, but only because I was to quick when ordering, I accidently overlooked the card offering my dual DVI preference.

Also a dual input screen can be connected to two different PCs simultaneously, having one type of connector plugged into each PC, and switching between the two. I find this handy when my old test rig monitors offer too lower resolutions.

And yes, I can for see D-sub dissapearing within two years. Most of the geforce 6 cards advertised offer the Dual DVI.

if you do get an analogue connector one, you can always purchase a d-sub to dvi converter, though this can influence quality and response times.

Go for the DVI I say, I use it myself after replacing my CRT monitor with a TFT, and prefer it as the modern standard.

Maybe it is $70 more, but if you keep it for years to come, it will be much more handy and future proofed than having an analogue one.