IP stuck @ 169.254.xxx.xxx can't release WIN2K PRO

arnieSS

I've had this problem with Windows XP and successfuly used a utility to repair the IP stack but can't find a fix for Win2K.

In DOS I type ipconfig /release and I get the error something to the affect "Adapter is not bound to a DHCP and can not be released" and it stays on the dreaded 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address. It is connected to a linksys router and all other computers work fine, the only thing I did was restarted and couldnt log on to network anymore.

I've tried uninstalling/installing TCP/IP installing a new NIC card, no luck. Has anyone had any experience with this problem? I'm about 2 steps from doing a clean install I'm so frustrated :realmad:

Thanks for the help

Have you tried to manually assign an address. It may "fix itself" if you assign an address then set the NIC back to DHCP.

Failing that, if it works OK with a static address, it may save you a reinstall. If my memory serves me correctly for a Linksys, try an address of 192.168.1.10 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway fo 192.168.1.1

You will need to check those addresses, but I think that is the range Linksys use, and you will also need to obtain your DNS addresses.

I did try to manually assign an address and it will work with the linksys when I set that address as a permanent on the router but when I go back to obtain address automatically it sticks to 169.xxx.xxx.xxx

Oh something I forgot to mention is that its on my network right now but when I give it back to my friend (fixing it for him) its going to be directly connected to a cable modem so I need DHCP for that

What is the setup you have and are going to?

If you are trying to get an IP from a router/gateway, verify the dhcp server is enabled on the device.

If you are connecting straight to a cable modem, reset the power on the modem. Alot of cable providers have the modems set to only hand out IPs to the first MAC address that requests an IP. It takes a reboot of the modem to reset the MAC address.

The problem started on the cable modem and is having the same problem on my LAN right now (linksys router). The cable modem was power cycled many times with no results. On my network I can not get windows to release/renew the IP. When i run ipconfig /release it remains on 169.254.201.3

Check the router make sure the DHCP server is set up for it and that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and make your computer setup too Obtain IP adress Automatically. Also see if your router has a "Network Clients" page and see if your computer is listed there.. if so delete it and reboot your computer.

if that doesn't work. find out the IP's of the other computer on the network. and just use a diffrent number....

Example:

Computer 1: 192.168.100.11

Computer 2: 192.168.100.12

Computer 3: 192.168.100.13

and make your computer 192.168.100.14 on subnet mask 255.255.255.0

1 more thing too check is the workgroup. make sure you're all on the same workgroup and you should have the Network back.

good luck :D

No matter what device I plug into the computer it will not get the IP, either the router or directly to the cable modem. If i unplug the network cable from the computer and then plug it into another it works fine.

When I had the same problem with Windows XP it was a IP Stack error, but i can't find anything on how to fix this error in Windows 2000.