NO ACPI (HAL) with Windows XP SP2

the.neon

Helo everybody,

I have installed my pc with a window xp sp2 slipstream cd. All ACPI events was disabled ( not exists). I can't send the pc in the standby mode , because the icon is deactivate. When I would press the F5 key in the cd boot menu, I can't access to the HAL menu.

Have the SP2 any problems with HAL ??

Help !!!

neon

:realmad:

I also had this problem. Here is my theory:

Windows is picky with digital signing of drivers. If you do an unattended install, the setup program ignores whatever drivers are included on the install CD and installs its own, outdated (but digitally signed) drivers instead.

(If you do an attended install, you will be asked to confirm that you REALLY want to install these newer, non-digitally signed drivers.)

I don't know how to make windows use the newer drivers by default, but here is a way to get "standby" mode working again:

-------------------------------------------------------

Right-click "My Computer".

Select "Manage".

"Computer Management" window comes up.

Double-click "Device Manager" in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window.

In the right pane, double-click "SCSI and RAID controllers".

The controller name (in my case "HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller") comes up. Double-click it.

A "Properties" window comes up. Choose "Driver".

Look at the "Driver Date". The driver is most likely *very* old, from like 2001. The integrated drivers on your custom install CD are newer than that, so the date should be from like 2004.

Choose "Update driver". Choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".

Then choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install".

Now there will most likely be two drivers to choose from. I was presented with "HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller", which was digitally signed, and the "Highpoint HPT 3xx ATA RAID Controller", which wasn't.

I chose the "Highpoint HPT 3xx ATA RAID Controller". Windows warned about "This driver is not digitally signed!", but I ignored it. You should do the same. (If you don't see this warning, chances are you chose the wrong driver -- the old one. Choose the new one instead.)

Windows will now warn you again, just to make sure. Choose "Continue anyway".

You will need to restart your computer.

------------------------------------------------

After the restart, the "Standby" option works. Well, at least it did for me. :)

If someone knows how to make the unattended setup do this right, please let me know!