Registry Question

Heys. :hello: I'm starting to work now on the regkey part of my uA install. What i've done is format then install using my SP2 Master (pure slipstream, no editing or uA), and then install RegSnap on first boot before doing anything else. Then I took a snapshot and went through all my normal setting up, through the Ctrl Panel, etc etc. Now I've taken another snapshot and i'm comparing the two.

I should mention that I only have one user on this machine, Administrator, and no other users will ever be added.

So first off I just want to confirm a couple things. Can I safely ignore any keys in the HKEY_USERS tree? I thought I remember reading they simply map to different parts of HKLM and HKCU anyways. Also, is it the same for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG? In short, can I safely just worry about the HKLM and HKCU trees?

Other than that, I was looking for a bit of clarification on a couple keys. Basically I'd like to know what I have to define myself in a .reg file, and what i can leave out and the OS fills in as it goes along.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\{...}]

Start Menu2?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\{...}]

Not a clue.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\{...}]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\{...}\Shell]

I think these are window positions and the like?

Other than that, are there any other things to watch out for? I've done my share of work with the registry so i recognize most (yeah right) of it, but i was just wondering if anyone who's done something like this before had any tips or advice. :)

HI,

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes

in HKEY_USERS you see severals

S-X-X-XX

S-Y-Y-YY

HKEY_CURRENT_USER is a link to HKEY_USERS\S-X-X-XX

where X-X-XX is for one user and Y_Y_YY is for another user

change something in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and search it you'll see it also in one of the S-X-X-XX users (your profile)

HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT is default user

I don't know about

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\{...}]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\{...}\Shell]

i'm not sure but

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\{...}]

is for icon view

and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\{...}]

are for the sorting view of the start menu and why menu2 because in XP there are two ways to view the menu

the older (like 2000,98....) and the new XP menu (the startmenu2)

If you delete all the keys under it and go to the start menu after restart you'll see the order of items in the menu changed

Hope it help

edited :

IGNORE HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG