Is ASPI update needed if I install Roxio?

On our new office PCs, I am installing Roxio 5.3.5.10 (since that is what we are licensed for :) ). I've been reading a little about ASPI, but I am not totally clear about it.

I have the details on installing the newest ASPI 4.71.2, which is basically copying four files into the System32 folder. But if I am installing Roxio, is an ASPI update even needed? Keeping in mind the version of Roxio that I am using, am I better off with the ASPI update, or just leave it alone? Or will it make no difference at all?

FWIW -- without doing anything with ASPI, when I run aspichk.exe, the results tell me that all four components are not installed.

On a related note -- I have read that the native Windows XP CD burning service does not play well with other burning programs (Nero, etc). But since I'm installing Roxio, will the XP service affect me at all?

Roxio has it's own ASPI driver. I prefer to use Adaptec's, but then again, it's hard to guess if Roxio would use that one or it's own by default. In an office environment, the main thing that seems to matter with Roxio is having the updates on it, for new drive support and bug fixes.

Anyways, if you choose to install adaptec's too, there's more to it than copying files, there's also some registry entries (added by REG_XP.EXE if you use XP)

As for the service, I don't think it would interfere more than just causing a delay when opening the burning app, but I think it's a good idea to disable it. However, on WinXP, the most troubles I've seen with burning (and CD drives not working at all anymore and unstable systems) were caused by Roxio itself, not the ASPI layer or services.

Thanks for the reply, crahak. As long as the XP CD-burning service won't cause any real problems, I'd like to keep it. It is limited, but it is simple and cut-and-dry, so some of my users might want to use it instead of Roxio.

Anyone else have any tips regarding ASPI? Like I said, aspichk.exe tells me that all four components are not installed, but does that even matter?