Modem problems

Raiden

Hi All.

I own an ESS ES56PI-H modem and I'm having some problems installing it unattended. I've created a directory within my $OEM$ tree and put the modem drivers there. I also referenced the directory in my .sif file. During the unattended setup it installs the modem. When I logon every time I get a popup saying my modem drivers are too old, but the modem shows up Installed properly in device manager. Does anyone know how to install this modem so that doesn't happen. I believe the problem lies with the little helper app that loads on startup. Here is a list of all the files ESS gives in the driver.

post-88-1092273448_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention, if I install them through device manager, using the same drivers, after windows installs they install fine. go figure

is there a veriosn number in the inf file? if so windows may be overriding it by default if it think's its own are better

also...you can delete the readme

and what doesnt hat modem hold utility do(you may nto need it either)

I like the milton capture from Office Space :)

As far as the .inf is concerned, there isn't one with the same name in windows. So I don't think windows is referring to one of its own. Also If I don't provide the ESS downloaded .inf windows just leaves it unninstalled as a "simple communications controller" in device manager.

The Modem On Hold utility is what loads after logon into the systemtray. I'm not one hundred percent sure what it does, i've never used it, it forcibly installs automatically.