Regtweak, WMP9, and Privacy pompts, oh my

I think I really want to strangle WMP9. I am doing an unattended installation of WinXP SP1. In my RunOnceEx.cmd I have these lines for WMP9.

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Windows Media Player 9" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\applications\mp9\MPSetupXP.EXE /Q:A /R:N /C:"""setup_wm.exe /SetWMPAsDefault /Q:A /R:N"""" /f

I also have my cmdlines.txt running my regtweaks.reg which has:

;---------------------------
;Windows Media Player Tweaks

; Acceptance of EULA for no UI
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedEULA"=dword:00000001

; Acceptance of Privacy Statement for no UI
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedPrivacyStatement"=dword:00000001

It is my understand that at T-12 that any registry entries that are run for HKCU are put in the default user registry.

Well with the above lines the user should be able to run WMP9 and not be promted for anything at all. It does not work. The EULA is gone but the privacy statement is still prompting.

When I look in my registry the

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\AcceptedPrivacyStatement is set to 0

But If I look in HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\AcceptedPrivacyStatement it is set to 1

So the registry is working at T-12 but it is not being transfered to HKCU.

So I am a bit lost here.

Thanks!

I have a theory on this:

If you set the value at the HKEY_USERS\.Default it is the default value for all users that will be added in the future.

If you set the value at the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software it is, as it says, applied to the CURRENT user. If you add this registry entry during setup, you will most likely set it for the Administrator account, if for any at all.

Well I haven't tested this, but I think, this could actually be correct. I will try to verify this with my current unattended installation, but this could take a little while. I would appreciate it if you could post your results if you are faster than me.

Nephilim

P.S.: Well atleast I answered :)

What I have seen is when Windows install is complete I then log in as the local Admin. At this point is when I install my WMP9. So I have a feeling that it is overwritting the setting I set in the registry. Well so I figure that as the local admin this tweak may not work. Which of course it doesn't. So as local admin when I launch WMP9 it prompts for the Privacy statement. This is expected. Then I figure since everything is all set in the .Default then the next user the logs in will pull the correct info from .Default.

Well I was wrong there. Eventhough I have entries in .Default the local administrator and any new users are prompted for the privacy statement.

Maybe this will help you out:

Go here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/enterprise/deploypack.aspx

and get the Enterprise Deployment Pack for WMP.

This allows you to create a custom msi installer package for WMP9, with whatever options you want..

I haven't tested it yet, but according to M$, it will work. . . :unsure:

Well I was going to do that and I started working on it. However, with the EDP you can only use WMP9 standard edition not WMP9 for WindowsXP which for some reason my helpdesk said they wanted. So every once in a while I please them.

My solution that works is a custom ADM. The adm changes the registry entry for HKCU.

So I install WMP9 from my RunonceEX

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Windows Media Player 9" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\applications\mp9\MPSetupXP.EXE /Q:A /R:N /C:"""setup_wm.exe /SetWMPAsDefault /Q:A /R:N"""" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\060 /VE /D "Windows Media Player 9 Script Update" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\applications\mp9\Q828026.exe /Q /N /Z" /f

In my regtweaks.reg I have: (to disable EULA)

;Windows Media Player Tweaks

; Acceptance of EULA for no UI
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedEULA"=dword:00000001

and then I have my wmp9.adm:

CLASS USER

CATEGORY !!AdditionalSettings
  CATEGORY !!WMP_PARAMS

KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences"

POLICY !!SET_NOPRIVACY
           EXPLAIN !!NOPRIVACY_HELP
    PART !!partname NUMERIC
      MIN 0 MAX 1 DEFAULT 1
             VALUENAME "AcceptedPrivacyStatement"
           END PART
        END POLICY

END CATEGORY
END CATEGORY
[strings]
AdditionalSettings="Additional Settings"
WMP_PARAMS="Media Player 9"
SET_NOPRIVACY="Disable Privacy prompt for Windows Media Player 9"
NOPRIVACY_HELP="Windows Media Player 9 will prompt the user on initial execution for acceptance of the Privacy Agreement as well as default application settings. \n\n0 Will Disable the prompt."
Partname="Set Value to "

Now I get no prompt for my users for WMP9. As clean as a whistle.

Sysprep resets the license

What I did to get past this was to add a reg command as a runonce in the NTUser.dat, so each user that logs in get the correct settings...

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\Install01 /V 03 /t REG_SZ /D "reg load HKLM\Test c:\docume~1\defaul~1\ntuser.dat"

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\Install01 /V 06 /t REG_SZ /D "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemroot%\NewUserRunOnce.inf"

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\Install01 /V 07 /t REG_SZ /D "reg unload HKLM\Test"

HKLM,Test\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,RUN3,,"reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences /v AcceptedEULAAcceptedPrivacyStatement /t REG_DWORD /D 00000001 /f"
HKLM,Test\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,RUN4,,"reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences /v AcceptedPrivacyStatement /t REG_DWORD /D 00000001 /f"

R

Hey dudes, sorry to spoil the party......

Windows XP SP2 (which everybody is gotta install sooner or later) already has Windows Media Player 9 integrated (just like the gold release of XP had WMP8). And its a fact that the methods described here don't work to disable the first-run and other prompts of WMP9. In any case, all of us can get an easier way to get-around that issue - see this thread. I suppose simply needing to use registry hacks alone, will be a lot easier......