autoruning sp2 from cd

smartie91

Hi All

I have downloaded xpsp2 and wish to burn on cd for my family i have got one big file 266 meg which i know if i double click from cd it will unpack and install thats fine for me.

I have also unpacked the file and now have the i386 folder my queston is how do I make the cd autorun and start installing sp2 without doubleclicking

hope this makes sense

Smartie91(Nigel)

i think you must start from here

if the only thing you want it's an installation xp sp2 cd (not unattended) first copy your original xp cd to a folder and then run from the command line "sp2file.exe /s:folderofxp". then burn using autoboot utility.

an alternative way it's use nLite an utility from nuhi that lets you reduce the installation source of xp and do all of the above from a nice gui. good luck!

ps: i've forgotten one thing, if you have a problem or want to ask a specific question about nLite please ask it here

Hi

Sorry but maybe i didnt explain it right

I have a unattended xp for myself thats not a problem but all i want on this new cd is SP2 and to autorun when inserted into a cdrom

Hope this is a bit clearer

Smartie91(Nigel)

Could be something like this:

Autorun.inf:

[AutoRun]
open=sp2.cmd

sp2.cmd:

WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

Use /? with WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe to find further switches if you want to change it. All of autorun.inf, sp2.cmd and the service pack should be in the same location for the above to work.