Turn on Network Icon

:) After trying to turn the network icon on for months, I have finally figured out a easy way to do it. Microsoft could not make it simple and just have a basic registry key, they had to split it up. The network icon registry key is a combination of a network type Id (ClassGUID) and the adapter id (NetID) placed together to form a new key. Every computer has a different key that is why the network icon is not turned on by default. I am new to VB Scripting so excuse the code but it works. This script will detect up to 14 network devices and turn the network icon on. This script ignores any 1394 "Network" devices and just turns on true network devices. Simply place the script in a folder called Network in your $OEM$\$1\Install directory and call it with this batch code:

ECHO.

ECHO Turning On Network Connection Icon(s)

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Network\NetworkIcon.vbs

ECHO.

Hope this helps everybody!!!!!

networkicon.vbs

Please specify which one is true for your script, just to be sure - what exactly does your script turn on....

1) Showing the network interface icon(s) in taksbar , whether the cable is connected or not.

1) Turning on the network interface (active or disabled)

Please specify which one is true for your script, just  to be sure - what exactly does your script turn on....

1) Showing the network interface icon(s) in taksbar , whether the cable is connected or not.

1) Turning on the network interface (active or disabled)

I would like to know that too!

What exactly does your script turn on?

Sorry for not being clear. The script places the network icon on the taskbar whether the network is connected or not. It does not turn on/off network interfaces. Also for Service Pack 2 (Build 2162) there is a new check box under network properties:

Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity.

It also turns this on.

Oh, I secretly hoped, you found a solution to turn on/off the network interface conectivity. Because its not available anywhere on the web at all, and I was searching very hard for it.

But nevermind, this icon thing is very good. I switch it on manually everytime a new windows is installed. Now there is a script for it.

Thanks. :)

So far I have figured out how to force all network interfaces to use DHCP, clear all static DNS and WINS entries and of course turn the network connection icon on. I am currently working on a script that will disable network interfaces on the fly just like you are looking for. Give me a few days of testing and I will upload it here. This script does all of the above. This script is really helpful on a domain and works great when you are imaging.

Enjoy!!

NetworkCombo.vbs

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

How do you use this in an unattended install? I can't seem to find any info on how to use a vbs during installation. I use RunOnceEx and CMDLINES.TXT, with a couple of batch files for apps that don't like RunOnceEx.

Otherwise, very slick! It works nice!

Jason

I posted a script a while ago that does this and additionally, it renames the "Local Area Connection" to whatever you want, and disables NetBIOS from all interfaces, including from firewire.

Something you need to keep in mind is that WMI is not available yet when cmdlines.txt runs. So you need to run it later.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...hl=network+tray