Thoughts on my new machine's hardware config.

premier69

I am somewhat limited with money so i cant go out and build the latest and greatest, but i still think i could get a somewhat acceptabel computer for around 4000sek (swedish kronor)

This is becouse i work in a computer store and can buy things cheaper.

still its alott of money for me right now.

I was thinking of putting this in my new computer, i would like to know how compatible and performance would be affected by having these components together.

Mainboard: Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL nForce2

RAM : Twinmos 256Mb DDR PC3200 (2 of them running in dual mode)

Harddrive: Samsung 80GB IDE 7200 8MB

CPU : AMD XP 2800

VGA : Chaintech geforce 4 ti4200 128mbddr

in addition I was thinking of adding a standard chassi, a dvd-rom and an arctic-cooling copper silent 2l CPU fan to that.

And i will be installing windows 2000 (i hate XP) and will be tweaking it.

would that be able to handle a game like doom3 well?

it's a good configuration thinking on the middle market. about D3... you meet the minimum requirements that means play wihout extra FX at 640x480/800x600. i would only change something, don't pick up a 2800+ buy a 2500+ (barton), you will not get any problem (because of the nforce2 chipset) overclocking it to a equivalent 3000+, with that money look for an ati radeon 9600 series that it's the minimum for high requirements on D3.

ps: i'm curious, how many € are 4000sek??

ps: i'm curious, how many € are 4000sek??

I'd like to know also. (Guess I'll just have to convert € to dollars afterwards...)

Your computer looks good, though I agree with Simon: you should go with the Athlon XP 2500+, and definitely get a different graphics card. Other than that, it looks like a good machine all around. Nothing particularly spectacular, but impressive nonetheless.

4000sek is today 433.5244€

and thanks for the tip, I´ll change to a barton 2500+ (are all the 2500+ bartons?) becouse it dosen't say on the site if it's barton or not.

I'll have to see about the radeon, i might go for it, just in case i can't buy that what Nvidia graphics would you recommend?

(are all the 2500+ bartons?)

This Site would point to yes. And I also have not seen any non-barton 2500s

What site are you looking at? Maybe someone here can take a look and tell you.

As far as nvidia cards, I've only ever used one: a TNT2 32MB card, and that was a long time ago, so I can't really recommend anything but an ATI. Sorry :)

(are all the 2500+ bartons?)

yeah, as "Phy" said i was wrong the 2500+ has the barton core, only the 2600+ 2700+ and 2800+ can have a thoroughbred core.

about nvidia cards i (and all reviewers or people having one of them) will not recommend anything lower than a 5950 ultra. the last generation of nvidia was very worst talking about perfomance/price using the XT name to appear more powerful but only the ULTRA cards are the good ones, and anything under the fx5950 ultra can be bait by a equivalent (cheaper) ati card.