Can't open MSCONFIG

EndeUSAF

I tried opening MSCONFIG on my home pc, but it won't let me. When I open it, it tells me "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact system administrator." So from there I logged off and logged back in as the computer administrator, but again it gives me the same problem. I'm not on a network, besides my small home network. What's going on here.

I'm not on a network, besides my small home network.

wouldnt that still classify as a network :rolleyes:

if u are logged in as admin, u could try restoring JUST those files from your cd, i think its called MSCONFIG.EX_ open it with a archive program, like powerarchiver or winrar or anyothers

& extract it & replace all the files titled MSCONFIG.exe with the extracted file from MSCONFIG.EX_

hope it helps :)

What I was getting at, is that I'm not on a client to server network..... just my wifes computer and mine.

Also I just now tried to add a printer on my computer and again it is saying I don't have the rights to do so. What is going on here. I am the only user on my computer, I even tried adding it from the administrator account on my computer but again it will not let me. Is there some kind of option some where that would do this. I looked through the local security settings but didn't see any thing that might be checked that could be doing this. I also looked through the services since I changed some of the services a few weeks ago for performance. Am **** near about ready to just reload windows if this keeps persisting.

k, for testing, lets use classic logon screen

goto control panel > user accounts > "Change the way users log on or off" then untick "Use welcome screen"

next, logout, and when it asks for a username , type "Administrator"

and specify a password if u chose 2

next try 2 add a printer or use msconfig , i think the problem is your on a limited account, and from there u can goto useraccounts & give yourself admin privledges if thats the case

hope it helps :)

Nothing that should affect my permissions......... This just started happening today though..... I was able to go into msconfig a few days ago.

Also.. if I create a new user with admin rights.... and restart.... I can access msconfig..... but as soon as I restart it...... it loses the rights to do it. I can't figure it out.

then u have something running thats altering your admin accounts, check for spyware & malware?

adaware

spybot

are good & free for personal use , make sure u update them , after download

I would say that spyware or virus could do this but im not convinced it is in this case,

It just seems like a corrupt registry string or general operating system problem.

I would suggest that you run a repair on the o/s,

boot from the disk or floppy and run the repair option.

If you decide to check for spyware you might also post a hijackthis log here

for people to check.

I found this online discussion which does not offer a fix other than running the repair function.

link

good luck

CB