How can I add "explorer.scf" to quick launch area?

Hi,

One of the things I do when I install windows manually is to add:

c:\windows\explorer.scf

To the quick launch area.

I was curious, what commands would I need to get that added to my regtweaks.reg file or winnt.sif (or where ever it would go - btw regtweaks gets my vote).

Anyway, I have done a bunch of reading & spent most of yesterday playing around & I am hooked.

My first cd worked flawlessly :) (I admit I was very surprised) & I am now going to venture from the start.cmd style of installing to the RunOnceEx.cmd (looks great!).

I will let ya all know how it goes.

Anyway, I was just curious how to get the explorer.scf file up & running.

Thanks,

Rich

You can place it there and then during installation you can copy it to the quick launch folder. Reading another post of yours, I see that you are using GUIRunOnce to launch start.cmd. That would be a good place to copy any shortcuts from your install folder.

Something like this placed in your Start.cmd file would work:

copy %systemdrive%\install\Quicklaunch\*.* "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

Any Shortcuts you place in $oem$\$1\Install\quicklauch will be copied to the Quick Launch toolbar during GUIRunOnce.

You can place it there and then during installation you can copy it to the quick launch folder. Reading another post of yours, I see that you are using GUIRunOnce to launch start.cmd. That would be a good place to copy any shortcuts from your install folder.

Something like this placed in your Start.cmd file would work:

copy %systemdrive%\install\Quicklaunch\*.* "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

Any Shortcuts you place in $oem$\$1\Install\quicklauch will be copied to the Quick Launch toolbar during GUIRunOnce.

I am actually moving towards a runonceex style install now. What would I do in that case?

If you are going to be using RunOnceEx, most likely you are going to have at least one .cmd file that is executed for post installation cleanup. Just include the command to copy your quicklaunch shortcuts in that or in any other cmd scripts you might launch from RunOnceEx.

jrzycrim,

Would I be able to do this in the All Users folder (due to multiple people logging on to the same PC)? I noticed the All Users folder doesn't include the Internet Explorer\Quick Launch folders. I assume I could manually create the folders and dump the icons there, correct?

Hrmm.

I added:

to my cleanup.cmd & nothing is there.

I also notice I have a "install" & "drivers" folder on the machine.

It seems that all the items in my cleanup.cmd didnt do anything they were supposed to do.

cleanup.cmd

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 1 minute, this will give enough time for the shortcuts to update and for the shell to fully load before its ready to restart!"

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\Drivers
RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\install

EXIT

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Slipstreamed Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Preparing Installation..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\prepare.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "TweakUI 2.10 Powertoy" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Powertoys\TweakUI.msi /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "WinRAR v3.30 Plus (Corporate Edition)" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Winrar\wrar330.exe /s" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Kazaa Lite K++ v2.4.3" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\kazaalite243.exe /silent" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\075 /VE /D "Importing Registry Tweaks" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\075 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\Install\regtweaks.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\080 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\080 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT

Here is my code for adding windows explorer to cleanup.cmd...replace %cdrom% with %systemdrive% in this case..

COPY /Y "%cdrom%\install\QuickLaunch\Windows Explorer.lnk" "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"