Question about unattended background adding

Hi!

If i install Windows the windows standard background is shown (the green picture with blue sky[in folder %systemrrot%\Web\Wallpapers in german "Grüne Idylle.jpg"]). Now i want to add a new standard background. Especially when windows first starts.

It is possible to do this?

sounds like u are refering 2 "Bliss" & yes its possible 2 do that

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"WallPaper"="C:\\Windows\\Web\\MyWallpaper.jpg"

that should work, u may need 2 verify the paths tho

regards

Add these commands to your main.cmd (which is run during GUIrunonce):

ren "%WINDIR%\Web\Wallpaper\bliss.bmp" bliss-old.bmp
copy /Y "%systemdrive%\install\your-wallpaper.bmp" "%WINDIR%\Web\Wallpaper\bliss.bmp"

Here, I assume you know to customize the above to your specific need.

I am not sure that "Grüne Idylle.jpg" could be the wallpaper it is using (that wallpaper may be identical to what you see on the desktop, but not what is being used). Normally, only a bitmap (.bmp) will be the default wallpaper. But still, if it really is "Grüne Idylle.jpg" which is used (instead of bliss.bmp or "Grüne Idylle.bmp) - you know what to do.

And, of course you have to have your desired wallpaper in bitmap form already on the CD to do the above - put your-wallpaper.bmp in "$OEM$\$1\install\" folder.

"WallPaper"="C:\\Windows\\Web\\MyWallpaper.jpg"

@MCT

I'm not saying you are wrong, but the fallacies of that method are many.

1. There are more keys which control the wallpaper than this alone (backupWP, HKLM settings, etc.

2. If applied/tested when already logged-in with explorer shell, the setting doesn't "stick".

3. Most importantly, the above regValue is a plain-text, which means you can't use system variables! (so if you installed WinXP onto D: drive, you'll end up with no wallpaper)

4. You have to apply it at cmdlines stage (which is pretty intimidating to learn and trouble-shoot for newbies), and if you do mistakenly run it from svcpack, you get a different set of problems.

5. We need an easy-to-do method, which will necessarily work the next time and every-time (should not be unpredictable).

6. We don't want to end up with a wallpaper-less desktop if the tweak doesn't work.

Oh well, to each his own honey.......

Use the method which is most comfortable to you.

The problem is that that REG_EXPAND_SZ type variable is much nicer and allows you to use system variables, but looks like gibberish when in the .reg file. For example, I set the wallpaper to %SystemRoot%\System32\rhc-lab.bmp, and the registry stuff to do this is:

"Wallpaper"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
 74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,\
 00,68,00,63,00,2d,00,6c,00,61,00,62,00,2e,00,62,00,6d,00,70,00,00,00

What I do is set some dummy REG_EXPAND_SZ string to whatever I want then export it. This solves problems 2-6 in prathapml's post, and does work unless you specify a system-wide wallpaper using local policies.

you can get around the REG_EXPAND_SZ by switching to INF :) It's alot simpler looking.

You could also use a .theme file to set the wallpaper. You coudl replace the original "bliss" wallpaper on the CD.

• 4 weeks later...