Gain space on your CD and make life easier!

Just a suggestion mind,

I've started to use WinRAR to pack my executables into a self extracting archive. OK I know they're compressed already but it can make life easier. This is what I do.

Find the switches for the program

Add the file (or CONTENTS of a folder - not the folder itself) to an archive. Make sure RAR is the compression type and strength is set to Best. Click Create SFX archive.

Click the advanced tab, then SFX options. In the box that says "Run after extraction" goes the command line for silent install. Click the modes tab of this dialog box and tick "Unpack to temporary folder" "Hide all" and "Overwrite all files" (Just in case).

OK Everything and you should have a single file which installs silently when you double click it. Now you don't have to worry about switches in cmd, and is a boon for people who need slightly older nVidia drivers than the windows versions (any GeForce 2/3 owners?)

You could then have in your batch file something like

cd (appdir)

for %f in (*.exe) do start /wait %f (I'm not sure that's right but it's similar!)

which would install everything in the directory :)

Wow my first post...

the saving of space costs extra time in extraction and copying to hard drive.

there is a cost to creating SFX files.

Which pales into in-significance when you find out (and have a necessity) that you can stuff in thrice as many things as you could when un-compressed :)

Yeah, like prathapml said. The whole point of unattended installs isn't the time, is it? It's not having to sit in front of the **** box entering information, etc., etc., but instead have some fun on your very most favorite TV game console or maybe go for a round of golf.. take a nap.. etc. - do something else valuable while your PC configures itself. I'd rather have space than time. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Note, that does not count all the time. I'd rather have more time than take up more space in my chair for instance.. :)

Edited by DarkPhoenix

hi,

i had some problems with WinRAR-SFX-Archives, they weren't extracted while extracting them with XPlode @ T-13min. After i switched to 7Zip the problems were gone and i gained a couple of MB through the better compression ratio of 7Zip.

hope this helps a bit

cya

Killer Bee

All this talk of space and time.. What would Hawking say?l :)

:rolleyes:

Ha ha ha ha ha.......

You really said it man!!!

True, that sets me thinking as well (after you said it) about what he would say if he stumbled across this discussion?