API call to set desktop up

If anyone can help with this I would be most greatful..

I have a custom theme that I have created for Windows XP. I goto the display properties, and select the Theme, then click OK and the theme is applied.

What I need to do is to automate the process of clicking that OK button to apply the theme.

I was thinking of writing a VB app to do this, but I am stuck before I've started! I know how to import the registry settings, but how can I program the 'click of the OK button.' I am assuming it will be some kind of API call that windows uses. Ive looked on Technet and google but I've found nothing,

Can anyone help, please?????

Thanks

PAul :)

Glowy,

Thanks for the quick response. The thing is I need to do the 'aforementioned' without having dialog boxes popup etc.

The reason being that this solution needs to be used on hundreds of machines..

Any other idea's welcomed.

(thanks for the idea Glowy!)

P :)

You can use a VBScript instead of a VB App to apply the theme immediately

Depending where your theme is in the list, you just play with the line WSS.SendKeys "{DOWN}" or WSS.SendKeys "{UP}" for selecting your theme.

settheme.vbs

Set WSS = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WSS.Run "CONTROL.EXE DESK.CPL"

WScript.Sleep 500                'if your computer is slow increase this value
WSS.SendKeys "{DOWN}"    'line for selecting your theme before {ENTER}
WSS.SendKeys "{DOWN}"    'line for selecting your theme before {ENTER}
WSS.SendKeys "{ENTER}"    'apply your theme and close display panel

If you want a VB App with a button you will need a window to click a button anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Well, I can't believe that there is no way of doing this - it MUST be possible because WindowsBlinds exists...

Does anyone out there know how to get a list of the API names from the uxtheme, user etc etc dll files.. that would be a great help. I need to figure out the syntax to these calls and then I can get it working..

So far, I have a form in vb6 that when you check a tickbox it enables or disables the current WINDOWS theme !! :-0 (works with Luna anyway)..

Picking one , loading it and setting it however is a nightmare!

Does anyone have any idea's??? I cant believe Ive come this far with it and cant get any further down the road...