Bug list

Something I find out, that's maybe not a nlite bug though... I used the makecab .ddf file that nlite is using (but with modified file list) to create my own driver.cab so it includes the drivers I used (well, I used nlite to create a driver.cab without any driver, partially empty (2 megs instead of 28) and I copied the .ddf into another folder. I then copied the driver.cab, extract it, add my own driver, recompress using .ddf algorithme and put the new driver.cab into i386 folder.

Then, when I installed windows, the driver doesn't seems to be there. The good driver.cab is there, I see the files into the driver.cab but windows doesn't seems to recognize them.

I tried using the $OEM$\$1\Driver style.. It worked, but I don't like seeing a driver folder into my installation.

it's because you're probally not including the INF files in the path. The difference between the $OEM$ method and the other way you're doing, is that you're assuming that just by putting the driver files there, it will look for them there and know how to use them. You have to inlcude the INF file, and most of the time, will require to be edited. Most INF files are in %windir%\INF and that's in the device driver search path.

It's not a bug, it's user error :)

it gets the files from it, as specified by the INFs listing in the setup source. If you add stuff to it, setup does not know what they are as it does not know the INF file that tells it what it is.

To make the process a little clearer:

1. Windows setup copies inf files to %windir%\INF.

2. Windows setup extracts? driver.cab to somewhere (driverdir).

3. Windows setup searches for hardware.

4. Windows setup finds hardware and looks for an INF file in %windir%\INF that contains information for that hardware.

5. If it finds and INF, it installs the driver files for it based on the INF. If not, it just continues installing other devices.

nodiaque, all you need to do is to find which files to keep and put them into keep box.

Lets say you want to keep specific printer drivers, just go to ntprint.inf, find your printer and copy file names that it is associated to...it will be kept in the windows even if you remove every printer driver...that's why the keep box is there in the first place (well, second...first were system32 files)