DSL modem

XtremeMaC

Hi there,

I'm finally getting dsl, (just got time..)

anyways I've been browsing the www and I'm pretty confused to what I want and what I don't want

all modems have different stuff like

splitter

multiprotocol router

firewall

switch

ip forwarder

10 channel vpn supported firewall

bandwidth management

wireless support

keyword blocking

hardware accelerator

etc etc.

now i'm confused.

I've 4 computers to connect to dsl, 2 of them connects to msn,icq etc

I play games so I need this upnp forwarding thing if I get the firewalled one right? (I had dsl before used dsl modem + linksys sr41 and had lots of problems forwarding ip's especially for games and share programs)

now I play games and connect to sharing programs and there is another user with another computer who also connects to sharing programs and msn.

i don't have much knowledge in this port forwarding but I had only managed to forward 1 port to 1 computer therefore let say I'd have high id on edonkey whereas the other computer had lowid. and that creates a problem.

so these in mind and I don't care about wireless at the time. which brand of dsl modem should I get?

I don't want firewall if I'm going to experience problems setting the ports..

Thanks

(if any other info is needed I can provide. :))

XtremeMaC,

Below are some things you may wish to consider, and probably a few more will arrive from others. Enjoy your research as it will become fun!!!!!!

ISP => You didn't mention it, but assume you'll need one. Be very careful on consideration. I based mine on, cost, bandwidth, support and contract time frame, mine is a rolling month, not a sign in 12 as some are. Some don't like peer2peer stuff being done either. You may like a static IP address, though this cost extra with some ISP and is free with others.

Splitters => These are so that you can use analogue and digital signals on the same and they are sent to the correct device.

Firewall => whether s/w or h/w or built into router you will need to open ports for certain games and s/w. s/w like ZoneAlarm will block everything and you then say what you want to allow through. This is essential kit though, as is AntiVirus, and now probably is Spyware/Malware removal tools.

Switches => not really needed if you purchase an adsl router as it will normally have 4xRJ45 ports in them so you can attach 4 PC's to it. If you need to add more then, yes, you will need to purchase a switch.

Wireless => difficult, this is a personal preference one. I would say no, as to many standards and no one is better than the other at present. Some do include accelerators so you can increase speed, but some are flaky. PCW.co.uk and pcpro.co.uk have done reviews in last 6months of equipment.

H/W => http://www.adslnation.com do very good modems, and the support is fantastic if you have quetions. (look at forum)

Help => adslguide.org.uk (there are others) for general advice, they also have a forum so you may view from that people opinion on h/w to use.

An oldman, by most people standards..........

well I didn't mention the isp bc I had assumed none of the ppl would have knowledge on Turkish isp's :rolleyes:

splitters: I didn't get what u mean by it?

firewall: well I know but my problem is the hardware firewalls are a little trickier than the zonealarm, in order for all 4 computers to play a game over the internet i'd have to have a special configuration right? I don't know what that configuration is and dunno how it works.

switches: i'm currently using a hub in the house (purchased it before I had known about routers and switches :D) it does the job now but if the adsl modem has a router i'd like that

wireless. though I've wireless on my laptop none of the households need wireless access. I'm trying to convince my father to get a laptop for himself so he can do his work anywhere in the house, (would be usefull for me not to him..)

thanks for the links I'm looking at them right now.

before the "how to use certain stuff" I need to buy 1 modem :)

i'm more interested in which brand is good, which one won't die or cause problems etc.

Aplogies XtremeMaC,

I did see flag but didn't clock nationality.

Splitters => In the UK, telephones use analogue signals to send voice over them. We then share the same line for digital stuff. So that the data doesn't get lost between the two when it arrives in your home, the splitter will seperate them, and send appropriate signal to required device, (adsl or telephone).

Network => The hub is fine to keep. Now you need to get an adsl modem, and a broadband router. you would then have this setup =>

PC ---> hub --->router ---> adsl modem ----> internet

however if you purchase an adsl router/modem combination item it would look like

PC ---> router/ ----> internet

modem

H/W => US Robotics do a broadband router, I have 1 and no difficulties in using or failing as yet. Been only 6months mind. I have an x-modem ce which is also easy to configure and no failures yet.

Firewall => Yes, this will need to be configured whether it be s/w or h/w. Some are easier than others. I know the netgear DG834 (Combines ADSL modem, router, 10/100 LAN switch, and firewall)

Netgear DG834

is very easy to setup and modify for your needs. Most gaming sites, will have info on which games require which ports. Other s/w like, VNC, MSN Messenger may also need ports opening and they are good for stopping things like Blaster and Sasser.

Also DLink, Cisco and 3Com do similar devices to the Netgear mentioned, again they all come wired or wireless.

ISP's => That one your very accurate with. :)

no need for apalogies man,

so okay i kind of understand what the splitter does but does that have to do anything with using filters for other stuff in the house like a fax or a phone? or am I totally acting wierd right now :)

i'll choose the pc--> router --> internet :rolleyes:

i like the usr modems, been using them, I might just consider that.

netgear, yea I actually heard lots of good comments on it. I, hmm can consider that as well .. (I first should consider if it all matters or should I just buy a darn $50 modem?)

u're right on gaming site having info's but most just say enable pnp forwarding on port ..... and i can do that for 1 comp but the other computers don't get any access to games I'll have to deal with that in some way.

cisco quality is not even comparable with others, esp in big networks. but i think its a little more expensive than the others.

okay now i should have asked this earlier, do u know of a page that has a side to side compariable list?

Thanks,

Not weird, it's just a nightmare until it makes sense. Yes, you will need a splitter on each analogue plug in the house, be it fax, phine or even an old dial-up modem.

You can do port forwarding for two computers. But this is based on the rules created, and the order they are placed on the firewall. The PC's will need a static IP Address though, and a static Public IP Address would also be of benefit as well, but I know some ISP, (in uk), do charge extra for this.

The following url

Router Hardware

may assist. Be careful though, as the BT Voyager is made by a company called 2wire, and not sure if would be available abroad. Plus experience has taught me to leave well alone. As for others, it's a case a read and see what takes your fancy.

Am looking for other good review sites, but i know adslguide.org.uk have a brief section, but it may be slightly out of date, so a magazine may be better.

OiOldman